Premed 101 Forums

English Requirement MUST be fulfilled with 1st year English courses?

Does anyone know if the English requirement at UBC must consist of first year courses? Would second year English courses suffice?

This is what is stated on the UBC MD admission requirements portion of the website:

English

(1st yr) 6 credits

(English courses must be offered by the English department. Preference for one full year of English Literature courses, or one half year of English Literature and one half year of English Composition. Non-UBC courses must be equivalent to courses listed in the table.)

I am currently taking a first year English Composition course and am registered for a third year American Literature (ENGL course code) for next term. They state on the website that the requirements must be equivalent with UBC's first year English courses, and as such, the American Literature course wouldn't quite fit in.

The thing is...I would MUCH rather take the third year American Literature course than the first year course on Poems & Novels.

Anyone here fulfill the requirements with an upper year course? Thanks!

Does anyone know if the English requirement at UBC must consist of first year courses? Would second year English courses suffice?

This is what is stated on the UBC MD admission requirements portion of the website:

English

(1st yr) 6 credits

(English courses must be offered by the English department. Preference for one full year of English Literature courses, or one half year of English Literature and one half year of English Composition. Non-UBC courses must be equivalent to courses listed in the table.)

I am currently taking a first year English Composition course and am registered for a third year American Literature (ENGL course code) for next term. They state on the website that the requirements must be equivalent with UBC's first year English courses, and as such, the American Literature course wouldn't quite fit in.

The thing is...I would MUCH rather take the third year American Literature course than the first year course on Poems & Novels.

Anyone here fulfill the requirements with an upper year course? Thanks!

I don't have your answer, but how could you take second year english without taking first year? Is there no pre-reqs? Just curious.

I don't have your answer, but how could you take second year english without taking first year? Is there no pre-reqs? Just curious.

I'm planning on taking a third year American Literature English course. The course's only prereq is being in third year or higher.

• 3 months later...

Can they be ANY english courses? I would like to take Eng227 (Prose fiction), but that doesn't fit into either english composition or english lit...

I could take six credits of first year english but I already have credits from doing ib back in high school, and i would really, really not want to sit through some boring lectures.

so, my question: can they be any english courses at ubc, or do they actually have to fit into composition/lit? do you remember what ubc said when you asked?

Can they be ANY english courses? I would like to take Eng227 (Prose fiction), but that doesn't fit into either english composition or english lit...

I could take six credits of first year english but I already have credits from doing ib back in high school, and i would really, really not want to sit through some boring lectures.

so, my question: can they be any english courses at ubc, or do they actually have to fit into composition/lit? do you remember what ubc said when you asked?

(the summer course list just came out and i am getting wayy too excited)

Archived