Premed 101 Forums

Chemistry degree good idea?

Newbie1234

yes, you learn new things in first yr chem. but what i found really different was the way they test that information. In high school, exams were so formulaic, so you could basically memorize how to do the questions.

In university, they can hit you really hard if you don't understand how to apply concepts.

and labs are quite different too. i never even heard of the fowler and bright titration in high school! lol. also..the labs i'm doing are completely different from the material i'm learning in class. funny how that works.

In my chem 101 they take off 30% of the grade if your results are too far off what the actual value should be. I think it differs from school to school. And I really hate this because we are first year chem students. I mean......CMON!!! :mad: I have 83 % in the lab component....and I should have 90 but because I've been off in my results....my mark suffers.

yes, but if you ever do analytical chem , like the others mentioned, this matters, so they have to start introducing accuracy sometime. In my analytical chem, if you're within one standard deviation of the expected results, you get full marks - I think this is pretty generous. But the marks very quickly go from 10/10 to 2/10 with even milligrams of a difference. Better to start good techniques early in your chem career, so that you're used to accuracy and makes your life easier later.

Archived