Premed 101 Forums

How does Ottawa decide who...

How does Ottawa decide who gets an interview. I know they have a GPA screening process first based on your applicant status (OOP, Ottaw region, CNFS..whatever), but what else do they consider? Do reference letters factor in before or after the interview, who marks the detailed sketch, what do they look for? I know the answers to these questions may not matter now since the review process has already begun, but I just want to know what and how Ottawa does their stuff.

There's a 'flow chart' thing in the handbook showing the different cutoff criteria. And I don't think the reference letters are really worth much (if anything at all). I'm sure almost everyone who applies asks for a reference from someone they're sure will give a good reference.

How does ottawa handle GPA calculations for students in their 4th year, who have one year out of the previous 3 that lacks a full course load?

I know they said they will only count years that have 5 credits minimum into the GPA caluclation, but i dont see them using only 2 years to calculate my gpa. So how do they handle this - am I simply out of the race?

In my fourth year I had 9 classes (4 one term, 5 the next), and I'm pretty darn sure they used that year in my GPA calculation, otherwise I doubt I'd be here. :) I think Ottawa isn't as strict as some of the other schools in terms of full course load being 5 credits, unless they've changed things. I'm not sure how they did my calculations though, because I did co-op, so my school terms were all over the place. But here I am.

She's not saying that.. she said in her 4th year.. you're assuming she applied in 4th year.

Current year marks are not looked at unless you completely bombed it in which case an offer of admission may be withdrawn (by completely bombed I mean if your wGPA was something like 3.85 and your last year GPA drops down to something like 3.1)

How does ottawa handle GPA calculations for students in their 4th year, who have one year out of the previous 3 that lacks a full course load?

I know they said they will only count years that have 5 credits minimum into the GPA caluclation, but i dont see them using only 2 years to calculate my gpa. So how do they handle this - am I simply out of the race?

I asked someone in the office about this. What they do is they transfer credits from another year. So if you're 3rd year only has 4 credits and your first year has 5 they just take 1 credit from your first year and 'add' it to your 3rd year. However, this doesn't affect your GPA for that third year (in the sense that your GPA is calculated just using your 'partial' load).

Hope that makes sense.

LOL I was out of 3rd year.. but there aren't that many on the English side.. I think it's more like 6-8. There are a lot more in the French program (probably about 10-13)

Kuantum I have the stats on OOP at home I'll post them later.

Wicked...thanks. Also, can you post which category each student came from, and if possible, an average GPA?

Yes :) I am sort of banking on Ottawa ever since my MCAT didn't come through the way I thought it would. However, Ottawa has always been a front-runner for me. The issue is, am I a front-runner for Ottawa?

I know fourth year probably isn't bad, but if I feel I am ready to go, then what is the point of waiting. Also, I am currently registered in Biochemistry and at this point I don't have any intention of pursuing graduate studies in it. I may want to later down the road, but I can learn the specialized techniques and theory then. Also, I have only experienced one type of research and I don't know if clinical is something different I may prefer.

Some can make a case by saying an additional year to mature and add to your resume would only benefit me. Sure that is a possibility, but I have really considered this decision and applying during my third year, I felt, was appropriate.

Yes :) I am sort of banking on Ottawa ever since my MCAT didn't come through the way I thought it would. However, Ottawa has always been a front-runner for me. The issue is, am I a front-runner for Ottawa?

I know fourth year probably isn't bad, but if I feel I am ready to go, then what is the point of waiting. Also, I am currently registered in Biochemistry and at this point I don't have any intention of pursuing graduate studies in it. I may want to later down the road, but I can learn the specialized techniques and theory then. Also, I have only experienced one type of research and I don't know if clinical is something different I may prefer.

Some can make a case by saying an additional year to mature and add to your resume would only benefit me. Sure that is a possibility, but I have really considered this decision and applying during my third year, I felt, was appropriate.

i totally see where you are coming from. i too, felt that i KNEW meidicne was right for me in third year. i wasn't able to apply that year, since my family was having some personal issues to deal with at the time. but looking back on it, i think i've grown quite a bit over the past year. if you get in this year, that's great. if you don't, theres always next year. and going through the experience this year will prob help you be a stronger applicant next year as well.

good luck kuantum!!

Thanks. I just hope everything works for the best. I am re-writing the MCAT in January though. Hopefully, I won't have to go through another episode of that. However, I think if I were not to get in this year, my chances of getting into my favorite schools would improve next year. I personally think its a little weird that my chances improve just by being a 4th year student. Nonetheless, I can understand why it would. Anyways, I feel like I'm rambling, good luck uofthopeful07.

Archived