Premed 101 Forums

McGill

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Fullmetal and Tonick,

With OOP interviews less than 2 weeks away now I was wondering if you guys could give your 2 cents on the interview. I've read people's comments from previous years and gather that it's very relaxed, based a lot on you wrote in your essay and add in a mix of questions like why dentistry, why mcgill, where do you see yourself in 10 years and etc. I was wondering if you had anything to add question wise or anything that you weren't expecting in general? Any useful insight would be awesome!

Thanks a lot!

hi,

so here are the q's i remember getting:

tell me about yourself

what are your hobbies

what are you most proud of

do you have any regrets (academic choice, things you really want to do but never had the chance etc.)

what will you do if you do not get in this year

how do you spend your summers

some questions relating to my autobio

do you have any questions for us

that's about all i can remember for now...the hardest q i had was the first one on the list. the questions came in a much more coherent order and wasn't all over the place like that, so it truly felt more like a nice chat. once again, i didn't get any scenarios

however, i have heard of two instances where the interviewer gave the interviewee a hard time ie. little eye contact, stoic facial expressions, scenario q's etc...in one case, the interviewer asked 'why dentistry' and came back to the q a bit later because he wasn't convinced that the interviewee really wanted dentistry. it may just be that the interviewer was playing 'bad cop' and that his toughness was the same among all his subjects.

so other than the be polite, be confident, shake hands, sit up straight, smile often, crack jokes (when appropriate) advice, i would also like to offer that although applicants at this stage will be happy to get in anywhere, mcgill usually makes it a point to try to sell their school to you as well, knowing that many of you well qualified applicants will most probably get multiple acceptances anyway. so interviewees really do not need to seem too desperate, it totally kills the great character you all want to shine during your 30 minute interview. be knowledgeable about mcgill's dent program (health science calendar has it all) yet skeptical about the great and not-so-great things you've heard or read. DON'T under any circumstance be arrogant though! there can be a fine line between inquiring out of interest and trying to nitpick the program's flaws, do not cross it! this was advice given to me by a med student of mcgill i had met on my flight to montreal for the interview. apparently it worked for me :]

i'll post again if i remember anything else!

Hey,

Thanks again for everything Fullmetal! You have certainly helped a great deal throughout the last couple months and I really appreciate all of your input!

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think McGill is the only english Canadian dental school that does not follow the standard cda style of interview. I cannot speak for the french schools.

Archived