Premed 101 Forums

Disabilities in Med School

student101

Are med schools completely rejectatory of students with disabilities? If so, to what degree? I have Essential tremor. As of now it doens't largely affect my life, my hands may tremor slightly from time to time but that's about it. I know that in something like medicine, steady hands are very important, but I also know that there may be some fields in medicine where slight tremors may not necessarily hurt performance (e.g. psychiatry, GP).

I'm just wondering...does anyone know anything about this issue?

Hey,

I'd say that the only area that you'd be unsuitable for would be surgery, and even then probably only vascular, ENT and neurosurgery but you should be good for everything else. This all depends on how severe your essential tremor is, of course.

I wouldn't let something like that dissuade you from a career in medicine, although it can limit your options within the field.

Here's the link I was talking about. Save the video file, it works better that way.

I know this probably isn't the same situation as you, but it is incredible anyway, and shows that yes, you can be a doctor with disabilities.

http://www.ualberta.ca/~dcollins/transfer.html

But my prof is taking it down in a few days so get it while it's hot!

Coming from a person with a visable disability, yes, you can go through med school and residency. I have muscular dystrophy and use a scooter to get around. I'm not saying it's easy, and you have to learn how to become a strong advocate for yourself and teach alot of people. I'm in psychiatry residency now. There are a couple of articles in the CMAJ from back in May and July i wrote, you may want to read. Good luck!

Archived