Premed 101 Forums

OOP applicant...are my scores competitive for an interview?

My ec's are good, got hosp. volunteering done, community work, some tutoring, office work, school club activities, research, and all. The ec's are fine.

However, I know that Manitoba does not look at the EC's for considering for an interview (atleast thats what I have heard and read). I know they focus on MCAT and AGPA. Hence, my question: are they competitive for an interview!?

Thanks for your reply Keil!

My ec's are good, got hosp. volunteering done, community work, some tutoring, office work, school club activities, research, and all. The ec's are fine.

However, I know that Manitoba does not look at the EC's for considering for an interview (atleast thats what I have heard and read). I know they focus on MCAT and AGPA. Hence, my question: are they competitive for an interview!?

Thanks for your reply Keil!

I would definately say they are competitive. Your GPA is above 3.8 which is great and your MCAT is above 30. Looks good to me!:)

The University of Manitoba uses a 4.50 scale, where A is 4.00 and A+ is 4.50. If your GPA is on the 4.50 scale, then I'd say it may not be that competitive, but if it is on the 4.00 scale, then maybe after conversion (I don't know how they do this) it might be competitive. Your MCAT is certainly competitive, so now worries there. Good luck.

AGPA cut-off = 3.95!?? Is this thing written in stone!?

I thought they stressed more on MCAT's and was hoping my MCAT's would offset my AGPA by a little bit.

By the way, I re-calculated my AGPA (Manitoba style with 4.5 as A+) and it did rise marginally. Its stands at 3.90 on the dot!

Thanks for the feedback!

I really don't wanna end up going to the US

They cutoffs are determined each year as it depends on the AGPA/MCAT scores of OOP applicants.

Also, your A- might also be considered a 4.0.

I recieved this scale for my school (UofCalgary) a few months ago from UofM:

A+ - 4.5

A - 4.0

A- - 4.0

B+ - 3.5

B - 3.0

B- - 3.0

C+ - 2.5

C - 2.0

C- - 2.0

D - 1.0

F - 0

Depending on where your coming from, your AGPA might rise!

Good luck!

They cutoffs are determined each year as it depends on the AGPA/MCAT scores of OOP applicants.

Also, your A- might also be considered a 4.0.

I recieved this scale for my school (UofCalgary) a few months ago from UofM:

A+ - 4.5

A - 4.0

A- - 4.0

B+ - 3.5

B - 3.0

B- - 3.0

C+ - 2.5

C - 2.0

C- - 2.0

D - 1.0

F - 0

Depending on where your coming from, your AGPA might rise!

Good luck!

What the hell, are you serious? An A- is equivalent to a 4.0 if you go to UofC?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I didn't think I was competitive as an OOP but had I known this I would've applied to UofM..

Archived