Premed 101 Forums

What if first year of UG din't make the cut?

BiNa

So... everyone here seems to be doing really well and quite relaxed.. well compared to me at least.. I am freaking out about my first yr grades.. i was in engineering at UW my first yr and didn't do too well.. then switched to science.. did awesome in that.. but MAC weighs all yrs equally.. rite?? AAAAAAAAAAaaa... I am freaking out!!!!

So... everyone here seems to be doing really well and quite relaxed.. well compared to me at least.. I am freaking out about my first yr grades.. i was in engineering at UW my first yr and didn't do too well.. then switched to science.. did awesome in that.. but MAC weighs all yrs equally.. rite?? AAAAAAAAAAaaa... I am freaking out!!!!

You're right, Mac does weigh all of you grades ever received from undergraduate university courses. But on a positive note, you still have time to bring your GPA up! Hopefully you can do well in your current courses and bring these grades up for the remainder of your undergrad degree and become competitive. Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

If your marks are really bad for first year eg. 3.0 it will weigh heavily on your CGPA (cummulative GPA) at Mac. I would highly suggest improving your GPA significantly if you want to get into Mac. However, a low GPA will not preclude you from doing so although it will reduce your chances of getting an interview.

I would also recommend applying to other schools that weigh GPA differently. I believe one of the schools takes your best 3/4 years.

Archived