Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances?

Hi all, I'd like your opinions on my chances of getting an interview and getting accepted. I recently graduated with a Masters degree in physiotherapy from Mac, which was all PBL, so I'm very familiar with the self-directed nature of the program. I think I would do well in the interview too (if I ever got one).

However, my marks from undergrad (science) are not good (3.4)! As well, I have not been doing any extracurriculars for the past couple of years aside from my clinical placements during physiotherapy school. In undergrad, I did a tiny tiny bit of volunteering. I did have jobs related to my field in the summers and an internship though.

I'm wondering, what are my chances? I know the ABS counts for a lot, so is it too late to boost up my score there? (i.e. does it look really bad that I didn't do much at all during my undergrad and grad years and have a big increase in activity the year before I apply?) How can I go about improving my ABS scores? I'm looking to apply in 2007 for 2008 entry. Thanks in advance for all your help guys!!

Just so you don't get confused....Autobiographical Submission Scores (ABS) refers to the 5 Mcmaster-specific questions that you answered during the OMSAS application process. Your autobiographical sketch refers to the 48-item list that you included (which includes volunteer work, awards, etc.). Unfortunately at this point, there isn't anything you can do to raise your ABS scores since these responses were submitted along with your application. Your GPA is a little on the low side, so that reduces your chances of receiving an interview. But as you said, if you get really good ABS scores, you can still receive an interview this year. Don't give up just yet!

I think that if you are unsuccessful this year, it would be important to do more volunteer work and support worthy causes which exemplifies that you are capable of being a well-rounded physician in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no magical formula for getting into Mac. However, the weighting of the GPA and ABS scores make it favorable if you can do well in both. Considering your undergrad GPA, it isn't unreasonable for you to put extra work into the ABS to secure yourself a spot in the interview cycle. The ABS is looking at several things including your suitability for medicine. It is not necessary to have volunteered doing a million things (although this might show your ability to handle heavy workloads) but it is a requirement that you show that you have learned and developed skills from however little your volunteer experience is.

Another main point for ABS... answer the question and apply your answers to being a doctor or studying medicine.

GM

Hi all, I'd like your opinions on my chances of getting an interview and getting accepted. I recently graduated with a Masters degree in physiotherapy from Mac, which was all PBL, so I'm very familiar with the self-directed nature of the program. I think I would do well in the interview too (if I ever got one).

However, my marks from undergrad (science) are not good (3.4)! As well, I have not been doing any extracurriculars for the past couple of years aside from my clinical placements during physiotherapy school. In undergrad, I did a tiny tiny bit of volunteering. I did have jobs related to my field in the summers and an internship though.

I'm wondering, what are my chances? I know the ABS counts for a lot, so is it too late to boost up my score there? (i.e. does it look really bad that I didn't do much at all during my undergrad and grad years and have a big increase in activity the year before I apply?) How can I go about improving my ABS scores? I'm looking to apply in 2007 for 2008 entry. Thanks in advance for all your help guys!!

Hey wondering,

I am a PT student at Mac and was just wondering what made you decide about applying to med school and what its like being a new PT grad. I also applied to mac med school my undergrad GPA is 3.44 so I am curious to see whether I will recieve an interview or not.

what is Autobiographical Submission Scores (ABS) & what are those 5 Mcmaster-specific questions ?

When you applied to McMaster medicine, you filled out your application via the OMSAS application. There were 5 specific questions that McMaster university posed to each applicant that you had to answer. The answers that you provided to these questions are collectively known as the Autobiographical Submission. These answers are given weighting (43% overall for chance for interview) and reflect your ABS scores. Your gpa counts for 53% of the weighting, and if you have a graduate degree, you can get up to 4% credit. Read up on McMaster's website for further information. Hope this helps.

When you applied to McMaster medicine, you filled out your application via the OMSAS application. There were 5 specific questions that McMaster university posed to each applicant that you had to answer. The answers that you provided to these questions are collectively known as the Autobiographical Submission. These answers are given weighting (43% overall for chance for interview) and reflect your ABS scores. Your gpa counts for 53% of the weighting, and if you have a graduate degree, you can get up to 4% credit. Read up on McMaster's website for further information. Hope this helps.

what about the autobiographical sketch? does that play no role in the weighting?

wondering...You're welcome, I'm glad to help out any way I can.

uofthopeful07...The sketch and reference letters are only used later in the process, for individuals invited to interview. For determining the interview, its only the cGPA, ABS scores, and graduate degree, if applicable, that are used.

wondering...You're welcome, I'm glad to help out any way I can.

uofthopeful07...The sketch and reference letters are only used later in the process, for individuals invited to interview. For determining the interview, its only the cGPA, ABS scores, and graduate degree, if applicable, that are used.

very cool. so do you know what the weighting is like POST interview?

(e.g, MMI score, ABS, gpa, sketch, references...)

very cool. so do you know what the weighting is like POST interview?

(e.g, MMI score, ABS, gpa, sketch, references...)

I only know that post-interview the cGPA counts for 33% and the interview counts for 67%. I have no idea how it is broken down further. I would assume that the sketch and references would be used with the MMI scores to make up the interview portion of the weighting, but I have no idea about specific percentages. ABS scores are used to determine the invitation to interview and I don't think that they are used after that.

I only know that post-interview the cGPA counts for 33% and the interview counts for 67%. I have no idea how it is broken down further. I would assume that the sketch and references would be used with the MMI scores to make up the interview portion of the weighting, but I have no idea about specific percentages. ABS scores are used to determine the invitation to interview and I don't think that they are used after that.

As far as I know the sketch is only used during the interview and does not affect your chances of getting an interview. The references are used more for screening purposes once you have recieved admissions or an interview. So your ABS score and cGPA are what get you the interview.

Archived