Premed 101 Forums

Ethnicity: is it a factor in medical school admissions?

hp18

Hey,

You heard wrong. How can ethnicity be a factor in making medical school decisions? The last time that I checked, it was against the human rights code of Canada to discriminate based on race and/or ethnicity. Medical school admission committees are also bound by this charter of rights. Ethnicity plays no role in medical school admission decisions. Pretty much every ethnicity in Canada is represented in the medical school system nowadays.

I heard ethnicity can be a factor while making final decision by med schools.....Is it true?

wouldn't that be racism? ...and does it seem likely that an admissions committee would base their decisions on that? ..and if they do, which ethnicities would they prefer? ....just wondering what your line of thought was when you posted this.

Hey,

You heard wrong. How can ethnicity be a factor in making medical school decisions? The last time that I checked, it was against the human rights code of Canada to discriminate based on race and/or ethnicity. Medical school admission committees are also bound by this charter of rights. Ethnicity plays no role in medical school admission decisions. Pretty much every ethnicity in Canada is represented in the medical school system nowadays.

Don't they have aboriginal quotas and such, same as States do for blacks?

Yes many schools give preferencial treatment to aboriginals over all other ethnicities. This is NOT, i repeat NOT racism. I am even hesitant to use the term "positive racism" because it just isn't.

What affirmative action's goal is, is to set the playing field even. How fair is a playing field that has no aboriginals in it and yet they make up X% of the population. We should, if the admissions process was completely fair and everything leading up to it fair, expect the same X% as applicants and acceptees- but this just doesn't happen. So some schools set aside spots above and beyond their normal amount for aboriginals because they are severely underrespresented when playing by the normal rules. If you are from a very rural and or rural community then several similar programs exist as well because from birth there exists differences. They are not better or worse but different- i think enriching our country as a whole. But the application system is admittedly biased toward "city folk" and a pretty good arguement could (and has been made) about being biased toward women!

If you think this is just silly and they should get in "on their own merit the way we had to" then i give you an example of my old school. I studied at a VERY prestigous school in France. The application process is based on an entry exam- so marks in highschool and all that don't matter- strickly an exam you write decides on if you get in. This exam does not have any indication of your name on it- ie no one knows from name your race or sex or even nationality!

A nice a fair unbiased process right? You would think so until the first day of class!! (i was an exchange student so i wasn't part of hte admin process)... so my first observation in class, okay second the hot guy next to me was my first,.... not a SINGLE minority!! and if you looked at hte roster for students- no name that wasn't a "French" name!! No french-asians, not a single african-french student!!! :confused: Serioulsy!!

I hope this example expells some myths about affirmative action- it is not about giving "help" or anything unfair- it is about making things fair and thus enriching our schools and med in general.

Guest mdhopefully

The playing field is defiantly not level for all applicants. Every medical school states that ethnicity, geography, race, religion don’t play a role in admissions but it is clear that to some degree they do. Different medical schools favor different populations of people clear and obvious. Everyone here seems to miss the point that schools do post there preferences. It would be unethical to say we discriminate against whites, blacks etc. But schools do say who they favor. Hp18 you can answer your own question by visiting the different medical school websites and they will state what applicants they prefer/favor. Like in-province applicants, in Ottawa applicants, aboriginals, francophone’s, SWOMEN, Canadian armed forces, Rural, Northern communities etc. Medical schools do not factor ethnicity into admissions decisions but where you live can make a difference.

Ps. To mock someone’s question does not put you above the asker but below them.

It was a very good question.

THere is no racism - as in discriminating one ethnicity makes a better doctor than another in the Canadian medical system.

However, it is no secret that a balance of ethnicities appears, appears more prominent at some schools, and by taking this into account, it would appear that some groups may have an easier chance of acceptance (less number of applicants in that particular pool).

Certain schools certainly definitely think about equality - in the sense of having a balanced representation in teh MD class - unfortunately, this can be seen as a form of discrimination.

These decisions aren't collective and open - but are in the back of minds of many physicians.

This is widely discussed by many physicians who have/are involved in the admissions process.

Don't ridicule that question - it raises a very good point to keep in mind.

Don't take me wrong...I was just wondering as I see students of few ethnicities work too hard and in the process have comparatively higher GPA/MCAT score. They also strive to excel in ECs and volunteering. However when you look at class mix in med schools you do not find too many of them......

^ Yeah but there are alot of other factors involved which can be a great explanation on why those student are not there.

For one with the competition in Canada there are tons of students who have very high GPA and MCATs who also have done some pretty amazing things. So in the end it really comes down to the interview and I believe per luck.

I hope this example expells some myths about affirmative action- it is not about giving "help" or anything unfair- it is about making things fair and thus enriching our schools and med in general.

While the above may be a side-benefit of affirmative action, I think the main goal of the medical schools is to produce physicians to meet the demand of the population. It really isn`t about being fair. It is just that someone who is aboriginal (and grew up in an aboriginal community) is more likely to practice in aboriginal communities (on a more long-term basis, not just a 1 or 2 year contract) and be better able to understand their different approach to health. Same as thing for SWOMEN, the goal is to produce physicians who will practice in southwestern Ontario.

For the original question about whether race plays a factor getting into med school....our med school class is made up of many ethnicities and the faculty is as well....and so there is a good chance your admission interview panel will be made up of people with various backgrounds.

Here's a question: is it a proven fact that students from disadvantaged backgrounds are more likely to return to their communities and work as FPs? I'm asking this because, as an example, for many children of disadvantaged immigrants, there is a very strong pressure on going into the most lucrative and prestigious career possible. So, is a poor black boy from rural Louisiana who was the first in his family to attend college, let alone med, really more likely to return to rural South, or is he more likely to go practice plastic surgery in Beverly Hills and rake in loads of cash and make a new, better life for himself? Are there some sort of stats to show that these speculations about returning to your disadvantaged home community are actually correct?

Guest mdhopefully

That would make a lot of sense for the medical schools to publish the amount of "underserved" area M.D. graduates that actually go back and work in their home areas. Another thing I find is that they are looking mostly for family physicians for those areas. I wonder how many M.D. graduates from underserved areas actually go into family medicine and not a specialty.

It defintly would make a lot of sense for the medical schools to follow up on that and make it public.

At the risk of being unpopular, I think that the selection process is fine the way it is. Just my two cents on the issue.

I agree. I used to be very bitter about the whole selection process when I was going through it myself. Now that I am in med school and have met everyone that has been accepted, I think that the process works very well. Everyone I have met in med school is not only very intelligent, but has a personality! The purpose of the selection process is to select those who are going to be great doctors, and they have succeeded in doing so.

Archived