Premed 101 Forums

Princeton Review for USMLE Step 1 prep

Does anyone know about the Princeton Review USMLE Step 1 online prep course? It's significantly cheaper than Kaplan (it's $599) and looks pretty comprehensive (full set of books, questions etc).

I'm slightly skeptical, however, because I have never heard of anyone prepping for the USMLE step 1 with Princeton Review. Anyone have thoughts on the matter??

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I had friends who used Princeton review, and I heard the books were fine, but the questions were not at comprehensive as the Kaplan qbank...so I would recommend that.

By the way, make sure you finish all 2000+ questions on the qbank. It will make a huge difference in your score

Bear

Hi there,

Although I've seen some folks complete the Princeton USMLE prep course, I haven't heard any great things about it. On the flipside, however, I've heard from numerous folks who completed the USMLE Step 1 (and did very well) that the Qbank is brilliant and a great asset to studying.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I recently completed USMLE step 1. I used the "First Aid" book, "Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Easy" and a few books from the BRS series (Physiology, Pathology, Behavorial Sciences.) Kaplan's Qbank was useful. Doing questions is probably the best way to study for step 1. There are other Qbanks as well. I've heard that USMLEworld is much better than Kaplan. I really got annoyed with Kaplan because of it's buggy interface and ridiculous questions. Still, it played a big part in my exam prep.

Step 1 is VERY basic science heavy, BUT they are making it more clinical. It was the most difficult exam I have ever written, and according to upperclassmen, Steps 2 and 3 are not nearly as difficult.

Archived