Premed 101 Forums

How to get into Research?

joshto

For the NSERC, each department at your school will have an allottment - then they decide. So, each department will have different deadlines, forms etc. The first set of forms is available on the NSERC website (you have to create an account).

1) Find out what the application dates are for the various departments at your school (generally mid-late January for the summer term).

2) Fill out the first form and you get a reference number.

3) Now, you have to go find a prof. Ideally one in your department or who overlaps with you. (ex. I'm in biochem, but I did my NSERC with a biophysics prof and applied through the bio department.) Talk to more than one. Find someone whose research sounds appealing (your school will likely have a website listing the prof's research activities). When you email them, include a copy of your resume and transcript. If they agree to take you on (this is usually pretty easy, if your marks are 80+ and you are generally competent, since they will be getting a free worker), give them the reference number from above and they will fill out the second part of the NSERC form online (almost all profs involved in research will have an NSERC account already, so this will be easy for them). *You can do this for >1 prof, as the selection process also takes into account the work you will be doing, so >1 prof may up your chances if you are borderline*

4) Take both parts of the form to your department and ask who deals with the undergrad NSERCs (at Waterloo, it's generally the grad officers for each department). Go and talk to them, say I've got these forms, are there any extra ones for the department. Fill out any extra forms (usually there's one to rank the various profs from whom you have form 2s).

5) Submit your application and wait. Usually you'll hear within a month. If you get it, it will be binding to a specific prof. Contact all the profs who filled out forms for you and let them know one way or the other. Set up a start date with the prof you'll be working for, and show up on time.

6) ????

7) Profit! (about $1500/month for 4 months, not amazing but pretty good for a research position)

Archived