Premed 101 Forums

No electives in a specialty of interest

RuralDoc

Hi,

Just wondering what I should do: I just did a psych rotation after all of my electives were completed. I did all of my electives in another specialty because I didn't think I was interested in psych. Now I want to apply to psych too. Will it just be a waste of time to apply?

Thanks

Ruraldoc

Hey,

I say apply. The worst thing that can happen is that you aren't offered an interview, but if you don't apply, you'll always be left wondering what might have been.

Just be prepared to answer the question your application will undoubtedly beg should you manage to score yourself an interview somewhere, specifically "Why didn't you do any electives in psychiatry?".

My advice in that situation is to be perfectly honest and spare your interviewing committee the 'had an epiphany/saw the light' stuff because it's tacky and they've heard it all before. The rest should be gravy.

Hey,

I really doubt somebody matching in plastics, derm, ENT or opththo without a single elective in the field...

I agree- for the really uber-competitive fields, like those mentioned above, you are really just wasting everyone's time (including your own) by applying if you don't have any electives in that area. That said, it does appear to be possible to match to other specialties (ie: IM) without having any electives in it, so I guess that anything's possible!

Maybe it's just here, but I've met 2 ENT residents (one at Sherb, the other at UdeM) : first one had 1 elective in ENT, 2nd one had no elective in ENT, except a mandatory 1 week exposure to ENT. Both matched just fine. It isn't easy, but I wouldn't call it impossible either.

What do you guys consider an elective by the way ? A mandatory clerkship in let's say general surgery is an elective ?

Back to the original question : I'd definitely apply to psych if I were you. Good luck !

Hi there,

I've met quite a few folks who have managed to snag spots in very competitive residencies (including Ophtho and Plastics) in the past 3 years, without electives in either. Also, I was speaking to a Program Director of a competitive program recently who noted that electives are not necessary, either. Interest may be demonstrated in other ways, e.g., research within the field. In short, there are no absolutes so never say never when it comes to thinking about applying to a specialty in which you have completed no electives.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi, I had a similar experience. I did all my electives in another specialty before deciding to apply to Internal Medicine. I wasn't expecting much but I ended up matching to IM (first choice program)! So, anything is possible!

If you don't mind summervirus, which specialty did you do your electives in?

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived