Premed 101 Forums

Question about Med and CEGEP (Quebec)

Namtes

I was wondering some schools (quite a few) allow you to apply for medschool after three years of undergraduate. Does this mean that you apply after 2 years (since most schools app deadline is in oct-nov)?

I'm not sure how it works and I would be quite thankful for anyone who could clear this up for me.

I was wondering some schools (quite a few) allow you to apply for medschool after three years of undergraduate. Does this mean that you apply after 2 years (since most schools app deadline is in oct-nov)?

For Cegep, I know that the 2nd year of Cegep is counted as 1st year of university, so does this mean that my med app will only be based on one year of university?

I'm not sure how it works and I would be quite thankful for anyone who could clear this up for me.

Thank You

Namtes

I applied directly after Cegep like most of the people in my class in Sherbrooke. But some of us did one year in university and got in right after it. You can do that in Laval, Mtl and Sherbrooke but not in McGill. If you want to apply to a francophone university, you don't have to do the MCAT

Hey Namtes,

When I applied 3 years ago, I asked ottawa your question, and they told me that since they don't really look at the final year marks (since you submit your app just after the beginning of the school year), you would need to complete 2 years, take a year off (or continue school) and then apply (they need to see 2 years worth of work after your CEGEP. I think you can apply directly to McMaster, but you'd probably have to confirm with them. As for the francophone schools, as Yamuh said, you can apply after doing 1 or 2 (or more) years of university. However, there are some constraints. You can't apply to Laval unless you study there, and Montreal is pretty darn near impossible to get in (I've heard they only take 2 in changement de programme, not official info though). As for Sherbrooke, if you had good cegep scores and have done less than 45 credits in the same program, you'll still be considered cegep, and will be eligible to take a place in that category (80%). Otherwise, you'll be in the university cohort (20% of the places available).

Good luck,

Maxime

Archived