Premed 101 Forums

Neuroscience major

Jochi1543

Anyone here a Neuro major, or have a good background in it? Could you tell me a bit about your experience with this subject/specialty? I am taking a couple of courses right now as part of a Biochem program - I had no intention of doing a second degree, but I couldn't take biochemistry unless I was a biochem major. Since I already have one degree, it wouldn't take me long to get another one, but I'm pretty positive I don't want to do one in biochemistry, since it includes some courses that terrify me (i.e. p-chem, etc). However, the courses I'm taking now are also part of a neuroscience major, and after looking through the plan for that major, it seems feasible....so I want to hear other people's experiences. I am planning on taking a class in that department in the spring, but it would obviously be hard to make a solid judgement based on one class. After just reading the class descriptions on our university website, it sounds like a very interesting area, but I wonder how useful it would be for a back-up career, and how damaging it would be to the good ol' GPA.:cool:

Thanks.

Hey Jochi,

Im studying in bio, but i have a lot of friends who are in the neuroscience program. the difference is not great (here at least) btw the two programs. we have many courses together. the thing is, if you like to write paper, that you should go into neuro, coz it is usually associated with the phsychology department.

I am also doing a minor in psych, so it basically counts as if i did a major in neuroscience. i find it harder than someone who is just doing a major in bio or psych. coz you cant take "easy courses" however, my mentality is that i refuse to take a course just becaus its easy (of course i dont take courses if they are super hard either)... i take a course because i am interested in it.... so my advice is, if neuro interests you... then go for it.:D

I'm doing psychology, focusing on neuroscience. Some if it is pretty intense stuff, but also very fascinating, and a lot of the research that is done in neuroscience is pretty innovative. I don't know what options are available after since I've never really looked into it, other than the graduate school pathway.

Hi Jochi,

I'm thinking about a neuro-major for next year, what's it like? Right now, in first year everything I'm taking is pretty basic, like chem and bio. A neuro major is also good for med school right, and I can take 2 minors and hopefully try to get in? Sorry about these questions, I always ask a lot of things just to make sure.

Hi Jochi,

I'm thinking about a neuro-major for next year, what's it like? Right now, in first year everything I'm taking is pretty basic, like chem and bio. A neuro major is also good for med school right, and I can take 2 minors and hopefully try to get in? Sorry about these questions, I always ask a lot of things just to make sure.

Most med schools don't care what you got your degree in.

I wouldn't get a degree just because I thought it would be good for med school.

Make sure you're actually interested in the program.

Archived