Premed 101 Forums

Application Question

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey... does UoA only take the best full year or something to figure out your cumulative GPA?

Coz there is NO way that my cumulative GPA would have been what they reported on there (unless they just looked at my best year..or dropped some grades randomly?)

Oh I see it...it says "cumulative avg'..so they must just have converted the overall percentage avg into a GPA score.

Pre-reqs are converted over to GPA first then averaged, however.

Sup fellas,

Just a point: For 4 year applicants, I know my last semester wasn't even in the equation. So really, they took my 1st year, 3rd year, and only first semester of my 4th year. So basically I wasted all my effort for my last semester in 4th year. If only I could go back in time and screw around. Dammit.

Sup fellas,

Just a point: For 4 year applicants, I know my last semester wasn't even in the equation. So really, they took my 1st year, 3rd year, and only first semester of my 4th year. So basically I wasted all my effort for my last semester in 4th year. If only I could go back in time and screw around. Dammit.

Do you know why they would do this? Why would they only take 1 semester of 4th year?

Also, was your cumulative average determined to 2 decimal places or just 1 (i.e. 3.xx or 3.x) - Yes, I know, I'm being neurotic.

Guest davehead
Maybe they start with the most competitive applicants first :D (jk)

It could just depend on when you sent in your transcript - I had mine sent in around October 25, so they (the RO) had lots of time to enter my data in.

Isn't the saying "Save the best for last?"

Or perhaps you were thinking of "Ladies first?"

Just kiddin', gl to all. :)

Hey guys,

Mine not up yet either. However, I phoned them about my reference letters not showing up and they told me that one of the letters had not arrived! So, I had to get my referee to send another copy...I was thinking of not phoning because I thought they didn't update the system... but I'm glad I phoned.

Zuck

Maybe they're not updating some people's grades until this term's marks come in. I am in a few courses that could be counted as pre-req's and, assuming my marks improve, maybe they are waiting to see which one's to use.

For those of you out there whose marks have been updated, are you taking courses right now that could qualify as pre-req's or not? For those of you not updated yet, are you doing the same?

From what I last remember. cumulative GPA goes to 3.X and pre-req GPA goes to 3.XX. cGPA was definitely the **** end of the stick because you could have a 3.71 or a 3.79 and apparantely it's the same (3.7).

And for 4th years, I think your last semester is usually cut off sheerly for volume factor of applicants and making it easier on admissions. Then they only have to take care of 2nd and 3rd years. That's all I can imagine. I think they state that somewhere in the admissions thing (not the reason, but that they take basically your 2.5 years).

From what I last remember. cumulative GPA goes to 3.X and pre-req GPA goes to 3.XX. cGPA was definitely the **** end of the stick because you could have a 3.71 or a 3.79 and apparantely it's the same (3.7).

And for 4th years, I think your last semester is usually cut off sheerly for volume factor of applicants and making it easier on admissions. Then they only have to take care of 2nd and 3rd years. That's all I can imagine. I think they state that somewhere in the admissions thing (not the reason, but that they take basically your 2.5 years).

Wow. So 3.89 = 3.8? 3.99 = 3.9? That would suck.

I'm in my 4th year right now and about to finish the fall term. Will they drop my lowest year's grades (which would be my 2nd year)? I am hearing conflicting things from the admissions office themselves and online. Do you need a full 4-year degree at the time of applicationt to drop one year's grades...or will it apply to me as well?

Here's what the website says:

For applicants who have completed 4 or more years of university. The admissions cumulative (academic) average is calculated with the deletion of the lowest annual average, provided it is not the most recent completed year, or the one and only year where 30 units of course weight (5 full course equivalents) have been completed.

Is that 4 or more years at the time of application or before graduation? I already applied and whether or not they drop the year, I would still be eligible, however dropping the year would significantly increase my GPA.

Jixe,

You're in 4th year, so you will be in the 4 year pile - you will have completed 4 years at the time of entry into meds. In which case they will drop your grades from year 2 assuming that you have at least one other full-time year. If your second year is your only full-time year, then they will keep it, if not then they omit it.

So you should calculate your cgpa after dropping your 2nd year, and it should match up to what is on the app.

Jixe,

Didn't you say that your marks are up? If so, why don't you just calculate it out to find out whether they've dropped the year or not.

My marks aren't up. I forgot the "not" in my post. Sorry about that.

Thanks a lot muchdutch for the confirmation.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived