Premed 101 Forums

Application Question

The people actually calculated my GPA wrong! I tried to talk to them on the phone and they wouldn't even listen to me. So I drove up to Edmonton and talked to them and finally got it fixed. It was so frustrating.

My prereq GPA is calculated wrong. Who did you talk to and how much was it off by? My prereq GPA should be 0.05 higher! It's a SIMPLE average that they calculated wrong.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I drove up to Edmonton to talk to the lady who calculates the GPAs for my last name (I think she handles T-Z or something).

My overall GPA was wrong by 0.1, which is a lot. Everyone is really close and 1 point overall can be the difference between reject or interview since we're only marked out of 70. In U of C for example, 306/400 is the cutoff and there were a lot of people in the 300-305 range. So 1/70 is significant.

I went to an American college so there's a separate office for calculations. We won't have the same person. If I were you, I'd:

(1) Drive up to Edmonto if possible

(2) Ask to speak to whoever is doing GPA calculations for you

(3) Bring all your report cards

(4) Do a spread sheet of how you do your GPA calcuations

(5) Smile! and be nice!!!

(6) Bring all the necessary materials you can find online about how he/she should do its calculations and highlight all the important parts.

Make sure you get enought evidence. Imagine yourself as a lawyer and are gathering enough evidence to persuade a jury.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest davehead

Still no marks for me. I must say, it's pretty hard to stay optimistic at this point. I phoned the registrar's office today and I was told that they are "exclusively" working on medicine applications right now, and mine probably just hasn't been looked at. Beartracks shows all my transcripts as received. Frankly, if their website says that interview invitations are going out late Jan early Feb, isn't it a little dumb to think that I'm going to get one if they haven't even looked at my file this late in the game?

Anyone else want to gripe?

Still no marks for me. I must say, it's pretty hard to stay optimistic at this point. I phoned the registrar's office today and I was told that they are "exclusively" working on medicine applications right now, and mine probably just hasn't been looked at. Beartracks shows all my transcripts as received. Frankly, if their website says that interview invitations are going out late Jan early Feb, isn't it a little dumb to think that I'm going to get one if they haven't even looked at my file this late in the game?

Anyone else want to gripe?

They won't reject you because they haven't seen your grades. I bet they've finished marking the non-academic portions and are ranking applicants for interviews as grades come in from Registrar.

Archived