Premed 101 Forums

How to be more modest?

Newbie1234

Ok, so now that its crunch time in regards to final exams for the 3 credit courses before next semester, it generally means I talk to friends and acquaintances, and read forums such as this one and/or SDN to read about others stressing out to make me feel better about my own situation. When I come across some folks with a GPA higher than mine I can't help but wish that guy (sometimes girl :D ) was right in front of me so I can punch him/her out. Don't get me wrong, as far as I know I'm not some one-dimensional socially inept freak or anything and I do realise that medschools look at applicants holistically but I can't help but compare GPAs and get angry and irritated and depressed (aka infantile) with people when they have higher marks than me. Any of you sages have any tips on how to become more modest (as I realise this is a pride issue)? Are there some courses out there or is this something people deal with gradually as they mature? Do I need councelling? Sorry for the rant...

Well, some ppl are just more jealous than others:D I don't think you'd need counselling for this...just work hard to achieve what's important to you, be the best that you can be, and realize that no matter how good you are, there will always be someone who is better than you (ie richer, smarter, more successful, more handsome, etc). Once you accept this, you shouldn't feel a need to constantly compare yourself to others. Instead, try and be more self-aware and compare your actual self to your ideal self (the person you want to become) and try to reduce any inconsistencies between these two selves (ie move closer & closer to realizing your ideal self)...now that's some counselling for u from social psychology...

I'm already in, but I still feel like that sometimes :P like during anatomy lab friday, some ppl just wouldn't stop asking questions and rotate so others could see the prosections. Also in PBL, there are often people know way more and they too, won't shut up. Or in other cases, they just love dominating or talking, or "fill in the gaps" in between conversations, preventing the quieter students to do so (even though they might just be speculating like the rest of the group). Do I get upset at these situations/ people? Ofcoz I do. But at the end of the day, I'll tell myself that yeah we are in med school, so what? People are people, they come in all different sizes and shapes and colors and personalities, that's why we'll be different doctors, and that's why we'll be better suited to serve certain subpopulations better others. I'd accept them and work with them to enhance/ facilitate my own learning to I can be a more competent doctor in the future, and that's the principle I'll stick by.

Honestly, just worry about yourself.

There is no reason to get frusturated and make yourself feel inadequate. Do your best, and be proud of what you're accomplishing and trying to accomplish. Like avenir said, there will always be someone who is better than you in something- but why dwell on it? Do your best, and I'm sure you can have good accomplishments.

I'm already in, but I still feel like that sometimes :P like during anatomy lab friday, some ppl just wouldn't stop asking questions and rotate so others could see the prosections. Also in PBL, there are often people know way more and they too, won't shut up. Or in other cases, they just love dominating or talking, or "fill in the gaps" in between conversations, preventing the quieter students to do so (even though they might just be speculating like the rest of the group). Do I get upset at these situations/ people? Ofcoz I do. But at the end of the day, I'll tell myself that yeah we are in med school, so what? People are people, they come in all different sizes and shapes and colors and personalities, that's why we'll be different doctors, and that's why we'll be better suited to serve certain subpopulations better others. I'd accept them and work with them to enhance/ facilitate my own learning to I can be a more competent doctor in the future, and that's the principle I'll stick by.

Exactly! Honestly, I just ignore things like that. I really don't care about it. Sure some people try to be know-it-alls, and show off their extreme, extra studying... but so what?! When I get to the material, I'll know it just as well as them.

Ok, so now that its crunch time in regards to final exams for the 3 credit courses before next semester, it generally means I talk to friends and acquaintances, and read forums such as this one and/or SDN to read about others stressing out to make me feel better about my own situation. When I come across some folks with a GPA higher than mine I can't help but wish that guy (sometimes girl :D ) was right in front of me so I can punch him/her out. Don't get me wrong, as far as I know I'm not some one-dimensional socially inept freak or anything and I do realise that medschools look at applicants holistically but I can't help but compare GPAs and get angry and irritated and depressed (aka infantile) with people when they have higher marks than me. Any of you sages have any tips on how to become more modest (as I realise this is a pride issue)? Are there some courses out there or is this something people deal with gradually as they mature? Do I need councelling? Sorry for the rant...

Yeah I know what you mean, its frustrating when you study hard and someone who didnt study as nearly enough as you beats you on an exam. I have had my friends do that to me and me to them, and it is really ruining our friendship. so what i try to do is really not to ask them for their marks and not tell them mine. so it starting to be better :) hehehe

You can't change the other person's GPA so why get yourself worked up over it? You can, however, change yours. So put all that energy into studying and I'm sure your GPA will go up! :)

Couldn't have said it better myself. Focus on things that you can do something about, rather than on things that are outside of your locus of control. You'll soon develop a positive self-regard and the reduction in stress will make you age more gracefully :D

Couldn't have said it better myself. Focus on things that you can do something about, rather than on things that are outside of your locus of control. You'll soon develop a positive self-regard and the reduction in stress will make you age more gracefully :D

No kidding! The appearance of my 2 gray hairs dates back to a particularly stressful semester a couple yrs ago:D

Nah, you don't need counselling; you have the typical premed/gunner attitude. You just need to stop worrying about how you compare up to others when they have better marks than you or can answer all the questions in your PBL group and focus on your own abilities.

• 3 months later...
...but I can't help but compare GPAs and get angry and irritated and depressed (aka infantile) with people when they have higher marks than me. Any of you sages have any tips on how to become more modest (as I realise this is a pride issue)? Are there some courses out there or is this something people deal with gradually as they mature? Do I need councelling? Sorry for the rant...

Sorry for digging up an old post, I'm not sure how I stumbled upon it, but anyways, here are my thoughts:

I used to (and probably still unfortunately, although I would like to think that it has subsided a bit) have a pretty big ego. Entering university, I thought that I could be a student who would have an amazing GPA and could totally blow everyone else's average away. I think that I based my self-worth on how high my GPA was, and while it is not bad (its competitive enough for medicine), it wasn't stunningly high. Alot of people I knew also wanted to get into medicine, so their GPAs were fairly high too. I remember being disappointed when someone else had a higher GPA than me, not at them, but at myself for not doing better, and I was disappointed quite often.

I'm not sure what happened, but I began to realize that my self worth should not be determined by my GPA. I think I originally placed my self-worth on how hight my GPA was due to it being easy to do so. The GPA is notable component used for a selection criteria for medicine, and it is also a very 'concrete' benchmark (ie: it is very obvious as to what the numbers mean and how you fit in the picture with everyone else).

Even though it should have been obvious to me, I realized that my self-worth should not be determined by my GPA, but by other qualities that I have such as the compassion that I have for others and the desire to want to help, qualities that I have demonstrated by the many hours of volunteer work (medically related and otherwise) that I have put in through my entire life, the hobbies that I have, and the experiences that I have shared with other people that have enriched both our lives. These are the qualities that will make me become a good doctor, the GPA is just a means for me to become a doctor.

Do I still get jealous of people who have higher GPAs than me? To be honest, yes, I do, and in fact I was jealous the other day, but I suppose its normal. Maybe envious is a better word for it, because its not the GPA that will make her a good doctor, but her personal qualities that will. And if everyone gets jealous/envious of other people's good qualities and tries to emulate them I think we will make a better breed of doctors in the end anyways.

Honestly, modesty is NOT part of North American culture. It's not very highly valued, and in a job interview, the fellow who acts like a peacock will almost always win over the guy who is modest about his accomplishments. Somewhere in Japan, it's the other way around, but here, it just doesn't get you far.

Personally, I don't think your problem is an issue of lack of modesty. I think it's more about lack of confidence. Say, I've met MANY people with higher GPAs, and I'm sure people on this forum will attest that I'm far from being modest :P , but it doesn't bother me....because I feel confident about my stats and overall situation even in front of someone who's GPA or extracurriculars may be "better" than mine.

I can't help but wish that guy (sometimes girl :D ) was right in front of me so I can punch him/her out. ....

Are there some courses out there or is this something people deal with gradually as they mature? Do I need councelling? Sorry for the rant...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh dear.

please just chill out. my GPA bites compared to almost everyone on the forum. i can work on my own GPA, or punch someone out, and get arrested for assault, destroying my hopes of any med school. difficult choice.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh dear.

please just chill out. my GPA bites compared to almost everyone on the forum. i can work on my own GPA, or punch someone out, and get arrested for assault, destroying my hopes of any med school. difficult choice.

Interesting user name:p

Archived