Premed 101 Forums

How to be more modest?

Newbie1234

LOL, Jochi, I agree about modesty being undervalued in North American culture. One of the senior cardio fellows here has a HUGE ego, but not much in the way of knowledge base. Recently, we did an OSCE exam. Afterward, as feedback, our friggin' PROGRAM DIRECTOR told us that he gave the arrogant guy the highest marks on his station because he "exuded confidence and behaved like an attending" - despite the fact that he got all of the answers WRONG.

The other junior fellow and I only got 7/10 on the station because despite getting the answers right, we seemed to lack confidence. And this was our friggin' program director!!! :mad:

Oh well - at least I kicked their a**es on the OSCE overall (gee, aren't I modest ;) )?

And I know who I would rather have treating my mom if she ever showed up in the emergency department :D

LOL, Jochi, I agree about modesty being undervalued in North American culture. One of the senior cardio fellows here has a HUGE ego, but not much in the way of knowledge base. Recently, we did an OSCE exam. Afterward, as feedback, our friggin' PROGRAM DIRECTOR told us that he gave the arrogant guy the highest marks on his station because he "exuded confidence and behaved like an attending" - despite the fact that he got all of the answers WRONG.

The other junior fellow and I only got 7/10 on the station because despite getting the answers right, we seemed to lack confidence. And this was our friggin' program director!!! :mad:

Oh well - at least I kicked their a**es on the OSCE overall (gee, aren't I modest ;) )?

And I know who I would rather have treating my mom if she ever showed up in the emergency department :D

Wow...wow... Didn't know that arrogance was a VIRTUE!

damn, thats disgusting. kinda promotes the "nice guys finish last" notion. personally, i wouldnt do that. i still think you can get with good conduct and gentleness what you cant get with harshness and arrogance.... but i'm just a kid.

To become more modest, I think helping a student who is really struggling might work. Try showing a less fortunate student a different way of looking at a problem, etc. In trying to help someone, you might find that you forget about the "competition." You will become concerned with something outside yourself (a.k.a. that another student does well too), and that reduces anxiety.

Archived