Premed 101 Forums

studying for mcats during schoolyear

tbee01

Hi,

I'm considering studying for the MCATS throughout next term and then writing it around April. Has anyone else done this and can you offer any opinions or advice on whether or not this is a good idea...for example, how would you advise balancing studying for the MCATS with other schoolwork?

I'm also planning on taking the April one...I already did some studying in the summer, so I won't be starting from scratch, but I am just planning on doing about 45 mins of studying on 3-4 weekdays, and then 2 hours a day on the weekend...I'm starting once this semester's over. Luckily, I can do a good amount of studying at work.

I am trying to do 2 verbal passages a day, then I will start studying the sciences during the christmas break. I am re-writing in January, so I have a little less time, but I am mostly focusing on verbal as I did well in the sciences last time. However, I think I am going to be reading more scientific journals to get more comfortable with the tough science passages...maybe get 14s...that'd be nice.

I did it back when there was only the two sittings, and it worked out quite well for me. I think the reason why it worked though is because I was taking organic chem, English, and a bunch of biological science courses at the time. Because I was studying for those courses anyway, the physical sciences section was the only one that was really separate MCAT studying. I *was* pretty tired and crabby by the end of that semester though, so I wouldn't advise it if you were, say, taking five philosophy courses and trying to do it.

I studied during the school year and wrote the MCAT in April. I took a Kaplan prep course tho (from January to April) which really helped me stay on track....I was taking 6 classes that semester, doing my honors thesis, and volunteering.......so it is possible to manage it all.....mind you I studied like 13 hours a day......by April I was ready to kill someone.....but having so much do do really motivated me and I excelled in all of my classes and the MCAT.....good luck!

How many different MCAT's are you planning on writing?? lol

LOL...you know what? I thought the same thing the first time I saw someone here talk about taking "the mcats"...but I've seen it many more times since then...so I figured it's right but just one of those things I don't understand:D

• 4 weeks later...

I wrote the 2006 April MCAT . I think what helped me were...

1. Kaplan Prep Course... They were at night from 6 - 9 PM so they didn't conflict with anything else.. but as the year progressed, I sort of stopped going to them cause my school workload was getting sort of intense.

2. The courses I took at the same time, namely the introductory physics class. It REALLY helped me in the physical sciences section because in my last taking of the MCAT (August 2005), I had a hard time with PS since I last took was a physics class was in summer school after Grade 10 :P

Archived