Premed 101 Forums

Omsas Gpa

Guest mdhopefully

I have terrible first year marks, but my second & third are averaged to a 3.85, I've called Dal so many times but I keep getting different answers on how the calculate the GPA, one lady told me it was all four years and the next said the last two. Help!

If you're applying as a 4th year student, then they'll look at your 2nd and 3rd year marks. They go through a lot of applications and trust me, they dont even look at your first year marks because they dont have the time. If you've already completed your degree at the time of application, then they will look at years 2-4 of undergrad. I basically just repeated what 'youngdad' said.

sorry for the redundence....but if I finished my undergrad and got 3.66,3.83 and 3.93 respectively, I would not qualify because I did not attain a 3.7 GPA in my first year?

if you've already finished your degree AT THE TIME of application then your BEST 3 out of 4 years are considered. If your first year mark is your lowest then it will NOT be taken into account and your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year marks will be considered. if your 2nd year GPA is the lowest then your 1st, 3rd, and 4th year marks will count. etc etc

When I was working on the adcom (3 years ago), they took your most recent two years (for all applicants). However, if you were done your degree and your most recent two years were not good enough, then they would take your best 3.

Examples (assuming OOP applicant needing 3.7)

Person applying during their 4th year

- Years 2 and 3 are used

Person applying after finishing their degree with GPAs of 3.5, 3.90, 3.82 and 3.74 in years 1-4 respectively

- Years 3 and 4 are used

Person applying after finishing their degree with GPAs of 3.9, 3.8, 3.5 and 3.71 in years 1-4 respectively

- Years 1, 2 and 4 are used

Archived