Premed 101 Forums

Interviews

Bear1056

When I did CaRMS in '04, my first interview e-mail came on the 12th of December. I made a deal with the classmates who were on electives with me (UWO students in Calgary) that if we hadn't heard from our programs of interest by the end of our trip (Dec 22) then we'd call to make sure our applications were complete because we hadn't heard. I got my last email on the 21st. It takes time and it's a little nerve-wracking...

Quick question. I have read different things regarding interviews. I was under the impression that we were supposed to wait for an email to schedule interviews, but others have told me we should call programs before this.

Is there a consensus?

Hi there,

There are also some programs out there which ask you to contact them to arrange an interview as opposed to the other way around. The latter is far more common, however.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I agree... the wait for the interview emails can be a little stressful. Of note, I received two interview invites AFTER the supposed deadline for programs to offer interview invites... so don't stress. I received most of my interview invite emails in the first week of January.

I agree... the wait for the interview emails can be a little stressful. Of note, I received two interview invites AFTER the supposed deadline for programs to offer interview invites... so don't stress. I received most of my interview invite emails in the first week of January.

Good to know as one of our professors (an ex-PD of a Canadian Peds program) has mentioned a few times that if we don't hear from a program by Christmas Day then we're done. Yikes.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Has anyone applying to O & G heard from all of the schools yet? I've heard from a few, but am not sure if all of the schools have started the emailing process as yet. If anyone has a bit more info and would be happy to share, I'd really appreciate it!!

Happy holidays everyone...enjoy the well deserved break!!

Cheers,

Aimshigh

Hi there,

I know some folks who have heard from some schools but not others. Don't worry too much about the schools from which you have heard nothing yet, however. From what I've seen (and heard) from other programs, due to the CaRMS timeline delay, many programs who assured that they would send interview invitations by this week have deferred the invitation release until January.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Jan 5th and I've only heard from U of Montreal for internal med interviews (which is oddly outside of the interview period!). I know Toronto and McMaster said they'd contact us as of the 8th. But I haven't heard from McGill, Ottawa, Queen's etc....

Anyone applying to internal hear from these schools yet? Should I give up on hearing from Queen's if they emailed us saying they'd send out invites on the 5th? What do you do when interviews are given outside interview period...are they considered as accepted absences by your program?

Thanks for your help fellow CARMers..and good luck!

wassabi

Hey guys! What do you do when interviews are given outside interview period...are they considered as accepted absences by your program?

Hi there,

As long as you have documentation of the interview invitation to show your program, I'm sure they would have few complaints. (I wonder why some programs would choose to schedule interviews outside of the CaRMS interview schedule?)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hey,

A number of programs like to interview their own candidates before interviewing the rest of the applicant pool, so this isn't something that's necessarily specific to McGill. Lots of other programs at other schools do this as well.

Hey there,

Calgary grants pre-CaRMS interviews within at least a couple of their programs as well.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived