Premed 101 Forums

Easy Programs vs. Challenging Programs

Avinash

i think as long as he can have a social life, either with his peers or with older people he meets with the university (lol, maybe not drinking) then good for him. Sometimes its easier relating to people with the same intellect.

I am 19! :eek: I fast tracked highschool 1 year, and am now applying to medschool in my 3rd year of a 3yr BSc (my school offers it for some reason). Now i'm trying not to brag but i spend a lower than average amount of time actually studying (it may come a bit more naturally for me), and have a fairly active social life. I hang out with friends that are 1 year behind me all the time, as well as people in my year and older. My friends' age range from about 16-26. I think when you enter university, you almost enter an extended range of age as a peer group. I think i've probably branched out more because of my grade skipping, meeting more people, and more people that have things in common with me.

Anyways, to me, its just about who you feel comfortable around, if this kids feeling out of place with his age group, i don't see anything wrong with him finding people he can relate to, no matter their age.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing, I do realize an A- is good. I was more or less just joking. I'm happy with my marks, i know i'm not gonna die from an A-. . .now a B+ on the other hand (jk)

O, and just a note, it sucks skipping grade when you keep hitting on girls 2/3 years older. O, if only there was a couger out there for me :D

i think as long as he can have a social life, either with his peers or with older people he meets with the university (lol, maybe not drinking) then good for him. Sometimes its easier relating to people with the same intellect.

I agree, but there's a VERY big difference between the ages of 17 and 23 versus the ages 12 and 17. VERY big. I mean, he may be intellectually more mature than most university students, but he still laughs when somebody mentions the words 'fart' or still calls them 'boobies *giggle*'. I know, I know, not every 12 year old intellectual genius will be like this, but most will, as most 12 year olds are like this. Also, no matter how much he will try to fit in with his 'peers', he will always be that much younger and be considered different. Even with his friends of his own age, he will be considered different because he won't be able to relate with them about school responsibilities, teachers, or girls (as vip experienced).

My parents accelerated my brother and saw that it wasn't the best decision for him, so when they were asked to accelerate me as well, my parents said no way. I'm so glad they did because I really enjoyed my time as a kid and wouldn't want to rush it or trade it in for anything.

Then again, I'm not all that intellectually advanced...:rolleyes:

Agreed. Intellectual maturity does not imply emotional or social maturity. 1-3 years of acceleration usually works out alright if the student is "mature" (in all ways) for his/her years, but any more than that is probably not a great idea.

On the other hand, it's not such a great idea to stiffle a smart kid. There was a student in the year above me in high school who was really smart and way ahead of his classes, but classes bored him to death. He just never bothered to even go and write tests or he wouldn't have had a problem passing. He ended up dropping out of school and doing drugs because he didn't like being babyed with the same old physics problems over and over, etc. That was a real educational tragedy. Unfortunately, he wasn't terribly mature in an emotional/social sense, so simply skipping a bunch of years probably wouldn't have been the best. In his case, I think he should have been allowed to stay in his year, but take advanced courses and be given special permission to do advanced work that would have been stimulating for him.

Insane...that's impressive. There is some 12yo kid at Loyola in Chicago doing his MD/PhD right now. Already has a bachelor's at age 12. Also, if you are curious, he got a 37 on the MCAT.

HOLY CRAP!:eek: What is the minimum age you must be to apply to medicine?

oh I was watching TLC the other day and they had a show

'Smartest boy in the world' or something along those lines. I only caught the end, but they had some Indian 12-yr old who says he knows the cure for cancer...

is it broccoli... my mother says its broccoli :D

I don't know the answer to that question.

But I do know that there is this couple who has a kid at my school. I'm not sure whether they're profs, or what, but they have their ~8 year old kid there every day. EVERY DAY. I will be sitting studying and they will come in at 3-ish and the mom will study with him. Sometimes I will come in late (after dinner, ~7) and they are there. Sometimes they are there in the daytime too. It seems this 8 year old studies harder than I do! I can't figure it out. I think maybe the dad must be a prof and the mom works nights or is a homemaker. Either that, or they want this kid to succeed hardcore. I thought for a while that the kid was home-schooled, but that just doesn't feel right for their situation as they are mostly only there from 3 onwards.

So if you hear of some kid by age 12 getting into uni and making crazy advances and finding cures for cancer and negotiating world peace, it's probably him.:rolleyes:

Most theory on intelligence holds that it is a combination of genetics and environment. In psych last year we talked about how some theories (which I happen to agree with) hold that every person has a range of abilities that they can do, and the richness/or lack of richness of environment depends on whether they are in the upper or lower end of that range.

ANYWAY... personally, I think trying to quantify intelligence is stupid. You never know what inspiration ANYONE can have that can lead to something great, regardless of his or her intelligence.

ahahaha oh man, what would it be like to live in a world without paris and tom cruise?! i think i'd be bored out of my mind. haha

i know! cant forget britney spears, showing her lady parts :D

we should start our own cult law! .. we can make ppl believe that Paris has a talent! oh better yet that she is smart! hahaha

Archived