Premed 101 Forums

Showing films during interviews

Have you guys heard this as well- that Radiology interviews often show films??? Are they looking for an approach, our communication skills or actually the right answer?

Hi there,

I've heard of some schools which have done this in recent years although I'm not sure what they're looking for. However there are other schools which clearly state that they will not be showing images during the interview process.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I can confirm that ALL candidates who apply to the radiology program here and are interviewed are asked to interpret some imaging studies with an attending during their interview.

Now the real question is what they are really looking for.

Cheers,

Medicator

Hey there,

One guy I know was faced with those interpretations and didn't really know what he was looking at in some of the films, and he told them so. He's now a McGill Rads resident.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 1 month later...
Both UBC and McGill showed films this year. From what I was told officially at the interviews, the purpose was to assess "visual abilities", but I have to think that it's also a bit of "how do you react on the hot seat".

T

Hey there,

Yes, given the nature of the imaging shown at UBC, (and given that these sorts of images aren't generally encountered on a regular basis until after one or two years of residency training) I'd agree that it might have been more of a stressful situation-type scenario. Probably some bonus points, too, if you were familiar with the intricacies of the anatomy shown in that modality, or at least, if you had a good, first principles-type of approach to either interpreting the image or thinking through the pathology.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived