Premed 101 Forums

What is this Science GPA?

hot.annie

So applying to the States next year - the AMCAS has this Science GPA.

From what I gather it is Bio - Chem- Math and Physics?

Correct me if I am wrong ...

so they take JUST MY 1st year

YEAR 1 BIO - YEAR 1 GENERAL CHEM - YEAR 1 CALC and YEAR ONE PHYSICS marks? They dont look at my other 'sciency' courses ex. 2nd year BioChem, 2nd Year Human Anatomy?

Is there a linksomwhere that explains this? Thanks!

Ohhh and HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Science GPA is ALL the courses like madz mentioned. This and overall GPA is where the focus is on.

Some schools take account of your individual prerequisite course marks, which are usually Bio, Phys, General Chem, Orgo. Here you can enter your max marks in the section (eg. upper or lower level bio course marks). But still your overall and science GPA is what rules...

Ok - I think I get it.

I was just wondering because at many of the schools that I am applying to they require 1st year Bio/Chem/Phys/OrgoChem/Calc(math).

I am now doing a BSc in Psychology and will not have taken OgoChem/Physics/Bio. I will be taking all of those courses in my last year while applying. SO they cant count those for my Science GPA yet. And since I am doing Psychology - I havent taken what is considered 'hardcore' science courses, even though my degree is actually considered a Bachelor of Science.

At my school - Psychology is considered a Science but I from what I gaher they are only considering Science as courses under the Bio/Chem/Physic/Math heading?

Qsn - what about my Statistics Course which is actualy under Psychology, yet just as challenging and similar to the Intro Stats course in the Math Dept.Is that still considered a Science course?

ALL I will have is 1st year Chem+Calc and 2nd year Human Anatomy Course. SO meaning that my Science GPA will be based on those 3 courses only?

That is what I was confused about. The schools I am applying to just indicate that these prereqs have to be comleted before the Aug of Med year 1...so I can still apply. I will look through the AMCAS website again.

Thnkx mucho.

For stats - it's best to ask individual schools since each school is different.

Psych isn't considered a science in most US schools.

Yes, only those 3 courses will be included in science GPA. AMCAS requires you to input all the courses you plan on taking during the year of application so the schools will see that you do plan on completing the prerequisites. Ofcourse, they will also want a final transcript to show that you have completed the necessary courses. If you are accepted, your acceptance will be conditional upon completion of the prerequisites.

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

Archived