Premed 101 Forums

Kaplan Dignostic Test

hippie

I started yesterday my MCAT Class at kaplan, and the beginning was with a diagnostic test so the baseline marks are known.

I haven't finished my cell biology course yet as I haven't taken electricity neither. There was no written sample.

I ended up getting 6 on physics, 7 on verbal and 8 on biology, Do you think 5 months of study are enough to get to my goal which is 11,11, 11?

Any precedents?

I will be putting one day a week up till april, then 2 days a week and maybe more in april/may.

I will also be finishing cell biology and physics which will help.The thing is while looking at my answers, I didn't do so bad in verbal at all, 8 questions wrong out of 32,still ended up with a 7, I have 14 questions wrong in biological sciences (out of 39), and that gave me an 8.

So I don't know how they actually correct or if kaplan's correction is different than the mcat one.

Another thing I will need to work on with physics with time, when the 50 minutes were over, I was left with 10 questions I didn't have time to answer.

If you didn't do any studying before that diagnostic test, I think it's perfectly reasonable to hope to go from 6-8 to 11 in 5 months. Some of the questions in bio and physics require you to remember formulas or some very detailed things that you are extremely unlikely to remember without having studied before the test. Say, I've never taken an anatomy-physiology class, so without studying these sections in the prep book, I would bomb almost all questions dealing with circulation, nervous system, digestion, etc. Crap, I studied glycolysis just last spring in cell bio, and if someone asked me today to describe the glycolytic pathway, I'd be like, UHHHHH.....:eek: LOL.

I will be putting one day a week up till april, then 2 days a week and maybe more in april/may.

I will also be finishing cell biology and physics which will help.The thing is while looking at my answers, I didn't do so bad in verbal at all, 8 questions wrong out of 32,still ended up with a 7, I have 14 questions wrong in biological sciences (out of 39), and that gave me an 8.

So I don't know how they actually correct or if kaplan's correction is different than the mcat one.

Another thing I will need to work on with physics with time, when the 50 minutes were over, I was left with 10 questions I didn't have time to answer.

It's curved, based on what the 'average' person achieves on that set of questions, so the average person got about 8 wrong on that verbal portion.

I got a 31 on my first diagnostic (TPR) and a 37 on the real thing.

I think that studying for the MCAT is overrated. More important is actually writing a test. If you plan to spent one day a week on the MCAT that's fine, but make sure once a month or so you write a full MCAT. Do the Kaplan, but also focus on the AAMC (closer to the MCAT the better). I think its the practice tests that really helped me. Do them under real conditions, with friends is even better.

And with cell bio and physics fresh in your mind, you will really have a good time on the MCAT.

I started yesterday my MCAT Class at kaplan, and the beginning was with a diagnostic test so the baseline marks are known.

I haven't finished my cell biology course yet as I haven't taken electricity neither. There was no written sample.

I ended up getting 6 on physics, 7 on verbal and 8 on biology, Do you think 5 months of study are enough to get to my goal which is 11,11, 11?

Any precedents?

Yep. I did Kaplan last summer, and my marks on the diagnostic were 6-8, same goal of 11,11,11. I ended up with a 36Q. I think that Kaplan makes the diagnostic hard so that they can fulfill their "higher score guaruntee". I got the feeling that nobody did very well at all in my class on the diagnostic, and all of us left saying "what the hell was that".

Be dedicated, do lots of full length exams and use the AAMC tests for at least a few, and you'll be fine.

One last word...remember that schools are starting to value the writing sample as well, so don't neglect that part either...

Cheers!

Archived