Premed 101 Forums

What to do between B.Sc. and Medschool?

Guest Agent999

Guest Agent999

So I am preparing for the MCAT and applying this coming Oct. But I have trouble planning as to what to do during the waiting year. I already bummed around for a year doing a lot of volunteer works here and there, nothing exciting but enjoyable. However I want to find some real job to do, something that will mean more and of course make me some cash. I was thinking about research, but what else can you do?? I know I shouldn't be asking people to tell me what I should do, but a few suggestion on the norm will certainly be helpful in my decision, thanks!!

Guest nby

i wish i did something adventurous with my year off like the ESL thing or being a flight attendant (but you've got to take courses for both of those I think)

Guest papink

You don't 'need' the course to do ESL.. especially in some areas! My cousins spent 1.5 years in Thailand with no course and not even a completed undergrad and they had the best times of their lives. Japan and Korea are much more strict with their qualifications but even then - undergrad is the only real requirement.

Of course - there are always other options than the ones you mentioned! What's your Undergrad in? If you wanted money - why not get a good job that will provide both valuable experience and money!

Also - my plan for the waiting year is going to be to pretend that I almost got into med school but didn't... and I'll be working very hard to make sure that if I actually will need to apply again... I'll have worked on my weak areas to ensure I have a better shot next go around.

Best of luck!

Guest Sunmoonandstar

I'm teaching ESL in Korea right now, while waiting to hear back from schools. It has been a fantastic experience and gave me a lot to talk about in interviews (the health care system here, the things I've seen and done, how I handled the stress). However, the flight back to do interviews cost me a cool $1700 CDN. Keep that in mind. And I was also really lucky because my schools agreed to coordinate my interview dates into one block so that I only had to fly back once. P.S. You don't need to do any courses to teach here, you must have an ungrad degree at a recognized university.

Guest Jochi1543

I also have 2 years between graduating from college and enrolling into med school given that I get in on my first try. I also wanted to do the ESL thing, but unfortunately these programs have citizenship and other types of requirements that make it impossible for me. I don't have the money to do some sort of thing that doesn't pay me either (like, volunteering abroad). So, I'll just work some mindless job and try to devote as much time as possible to fun volunteering and my hobbies.

Guest Agent999

so it seems the most popular way is to find a job and pick up some volunteer work. Dont know if it's just me, but it's extremely difficult to find a job with a B.Sc. The travelling to Korea/Japan to teach english seems like a good idea. Do u know where can I get further info on that? like who should I talk to? And aside from that, are there anything else to do??

Guest Jochi1543

If you have a B.Sc. in chem/bio, lab work, maybe? I surfed for some lab jobs on some Toronto job website a while ago, and there were some entry-level ones for those with a BS in Bio.

As far as teaching English, try JET program (Japan - google it, I don't remember the exact site), and http://www.teachabroad.com, it has volunteer as well as job opportunities.

Guest blinknoodle

I have a friend in the JET program who is absolutely loving it. I think, though, that the JET program is fairly competitive (I think it pays better than other teaching programs) and highly regarded because it is through the Japanese government. The applications, though, are due early in the year (Sept 05 for starting teaching July 06). I'm not sure if there are any other programs that would allow you to apply and end up teaching faster..

For info about the Canadian JET program, see www.ca.emb-japan.go.jp/Ex...index.html

If you are looking for jobs, I'd look into any internships available through any governments for wage subsidy programs for new graduates.. I'm sure your univerisity career services would know more about that. My friend participated in the International Health Youth Internships Program and really enjoyed herself as well. It looks like they are still accepting applications as well, if you're interested in international health.

Guest coastalslacker

I taught ESL in Korea, and did some travelling. Great experience and, like others have said, it definitely gives you something to talk about in an interview.

Guest Sunmoonandstar

Agent 999:

If you're interested in teaching ESL in Korea the best resource is http://www.daveseslcafe.com . A good contract should pay your return airfare, get you an apartment and pay for it, assist you in the visa process, give you a month's severance pay at the end of the contract, among other things. Good luck!

Archived