Premed 101 Forums

256 seats this year!

hmm are you sure? i remember reading a pamphlet a while back saying the increase to 256 won't happen until 2010 or something? maybe i'm wrong, can anyone confirm?

I read that too before.

The number of medical students -- who will all graduate with a UBC medical degree -- will double to 256 by 2010.

Source: http://www.publicaffairs.ubc.ca/ubcreports/2003/03oct02/dean.html

They originally planned to increase the size to 256 by 2010. However, they rushed this process and met their goal a few years early.

Look for a fourth member of the distributed program, the OMP (Okanagan Medical Program), to be introduced perhaps in the fall of 2009; this should increase the class size yet again.

They originally planned to increase the size to 256 by 2010. However, they rushed this process and met their goal a few years early.

Look for a fourth member of the distributed program, the OMP (Okanagan Medical Program), to be introduced perhaps in the fall of 2009; this should increase the class size yet again.

Wow...UBC reminds my of Google--their level of innovation in extremely fast.

An addition to the post above...

If you are not accepted for you first choice of location, are you still able to get in at another location? Or are you just rejected?

Hi there,

You are asked to rank the locations and if you do not receive your first choice them you will be considered for your second, and so on.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Does anyone feel that these numbers are becomming too large maybe? I understand that it is distribute between the three locations but with many other schools having numbers around 100 (give or take), but is this going to become less personal and perhaps even less manageable?

That being said more seats means more chances for me, and I am IP... so :D

Wow, 256 seats...great news

it could definetely make a difference for someone like me who was rejected after being on the waitlist last year...

I don't think it would be that much impersonal, as the focus of education in UBC is shifting more towards PBL...

I just found out my family doc did her training in Glasgow; I always assumed she trained in Canada. Of the 5 docs in Port Hardy that means 3 are trained abroad (2 from S. Africa). I'm not sure if the other two trained in Canada or not. I guess thats how we fill the shortage. To bad we don't import Carribean trained docs or I'd go there for sure!

Does anyone feel that these numbers are becomming too large maybe? I understand that it is distribute between the three locations but with many other schools having numbers around 100 (give or take), but is this going to become less personal and perhaps even less manageable?

That being said more seats means more chances for me, and I am IP... so :D

NO, I don't really think so...provided the quality of medical instruction is manitained. When so many people from other provinces decide to retire out in BC, we need the healthcare providers to be able to take care of them all. Baby boomers etc...are retiring soon and more will be moving out here....putting more added strain on our already congested system. Also our province has probably at least 1 million more people than Alberta and they have 2 med schools....(not sure of the numbers each admit). We need at least this many seats at UBC to support the changes to come. I agree with you though...that I hope the quality of instruction is maintained....(which I'm sure it is)....we haven't heard too many complaints so far....Just my opinion though....:)

just one more thing....I'm living in retirement ville on Vancouver Island right now...and it seems more than 25% of our population are either former Albertans or Torontonians (sp?)....can't blame them for wanting to come out here to one of the most beautiful parts of the world...but they all need docs too....:cool:

I completely understand the lack of doctors, just don't want to see the quality of education (of which I think the personal side is very important for training like this) drop. That being said I trust in the med program that they know what they are doing, and really hope that helps me get a seat.

I completely understand the lack of doctors, just don't want to see the quality of education (of which I think the personal side is very important for training like this) drop. That being said I trust in the med program that they know what they are doing, and really hope that helps me get a seat.

Ya, I'm sure they will ensure quality education.

The shortage is an interesting thing. BC can't afford to be as stingy with the admissions as they are right now. It's nice that they want only the best students out there, but having 100s of premeds out there just dying to get in and practice medicine while our medical system is running on empty just isn't an economically sound decision. I guess the problem comes down to funding, or the lack thereof.

Ya, I'm sure they will ensure quality education.

The shortage is an interesting thing. BC can't afford to be as stingy with the admissions as they are right now. It's nice that they want only the best students out there, but having 100s of premeds out there just dying to get in and practice medicine while our medical system is running on empty just isn't an economically sound decision. I guess the problem comes down to funding, or the lack thereof.

...think residency spots, too...

Archived