Premed 101 Forums

Undergrad courses

kinemed

Courses I took - obviously the pre-reqs (which DO help) - i.e. physics and chemistry.

Non-required courses - I picked cell bio and genetics while getting my 1 year of bio pre-reqs done, and I found it very useful.

Courses I wish I had taken - human A&P, especially the P part. However, in a lot of schools anatomy is a pre-req to physiology, so you might have to take both. But I think it would be very beneficial.

To illustrate, I'm using a prep book which has a little self-test after each section, and on the genetics/cell bio-related sections, I scored 82-95% and on human A&P sections I scored 62-82%. So as you can see, prior knowledge helps.

I guess once you've taken most of the pre-req courses and then used an mcat prep book and found it really helpful, it's kind of hard to say exactly how different your experience would be if you hadn't taken the pre-reqs and started preparing from scratch using mcat prep books...but pre-req courses definitely do help even though you don't need to remember as many details for the mcat as you do for your midterms and finals. Most ppl do it after completing their first and second-year level pre-reqs...but I've heard of many people studying for mcat biochem on their own and doing fine...also, a course in physiology as Jochi said would be really helpful for the mcat and beyond. So having done the pre-reqs definitely makes your life easier but depending on your strengths/weaknesses and how self-disciplined you are, you can study some things on your own.

I would say that the more 'conceptual' areas are the best ones to take these classes in: especially physics and organic chem. These are the areas where the mcat prep books don't really explain in much detail and work alot better as reminders. Cell biology, physiology can mostly be stuff to memorize and so will be easier as a first exposure.

Definitely take all of the pre-reqs if you can.

I think the MCAT would be VERY difficult if you hadn't taken organic chemistry. The biology, genetics, physics, I probably could have gotten through on my own, but it would have been much tougher.

This is just my humble opinion... ask lots of people.

Physics and Biology helped me a lot because I actually paid in attention in those courses, so in studying for the MCAT, the physics and biology foundation seemed more like a review, letting me focus on the more detailed applications in physics and biology.

I agree with the previous poster.....organic chemistry must be VERY helpful. I took Organic Chemistry (and looking at my old notes, it was much more indepth than what was expected on the MCAT) but did not take enough of an interest to remember ANYTHING useful at all. Had I actually learned organic chemistry when I took the course, my studying time for the MCAT would have been halved.

So yeah, the physics and gen chem and bio you can pretty much teach yourself. Paying attention in organic chem is probably necessary though.

Definitely take all of the pre-reqs if you can.

I think the MCAT would be VERY difficult if you hadn't taken organic chemistry. The biology, genetics, physics, I probably could have gotten through on my own, but it would have been much tougher.

This is just my humble opinion... ask lots of people.

Yeah, not having o-chem background was one of the reasons I decided not to take the risk last August. I know o-chem is now a minor component, but having 6 questions on it that you couldn't answer could take you from a 15 to a 12 even if you answered every single bio question correctly.

Intro. Bio*

Intro. Chem*

Intro. Physics*

Biochemistry*

Microbiology*

Organic Chemistry*

Mendelian Genetics***

Molecular Genetics

Human Physiology***

Human Anatomy***

Physical Chemistry**

Molecular Biology**

Cell Biology

Inorganic Chemistry**

The ones I took before the forst MCAT are single-asteriked; the ones I took after the first but before the 2nd are double astericked.

The ones I wish I had taken are triple-asteriked.

I definitely agree with physics, chem, biochem, and human physiology/anatomy. molecular biology and genetics are a must as well. one course that no one has brought up is histology (although this is not offered as an undergrad course in alot of schools). i personally found that this gave me a huge edge in understanding a few of the bio sci concepts. take it if you can.

The helpful courses I took before my first MCAT:

- first year physics

- first year chemistry

- second year organic chemistry

- first/second year general (inorganic/analytical) chemistry

- first/second year biology (mostly cell biology with a little biochem, no physiology at all)

I did not take the following but they would probably have been helpful:

- physiology

- biochemistry

- anatomy (maybe a little helpful, but less important)

- English

My biggest weakness was studying the physiology, but it was certainly do-able.

But I wouldn't take courses SOLELY for the purpose of preparing for the MCAT. It makes more sense to study it on your own or take a prep course since courses are not geared to the specific material on the MCAT.

Archived