Premed 101 Forums

When will they send out the letters?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This may be REAL early...but I inadvertently found out that acceptances will go out via e-mail this year.

Ya, it is a bit early yet but the information is still appreciated. Congrats to those who have received interviews. I guess the rest of us will find out next week sometime. We've waited this long already so I guess a couple more days won't hurt too much ;)

It would be great if everybody who was accepted/rejected could post their stats. Thanks so much:)

After a long day on campus, I came home and found a large, white envelope in my mailbox from Mac! I have to say, I really wasn't expecting an interview with Mac because I felt myself to be quite a "normal" applicant. I just read over my autobiographical submission, and even now, I'm not sure what would've stood out to the reviewers. To me, my answers seemed very standard although I tried very hard to be honest and thoughtful.

Nonetheless, I am very thankful for this opportunity! I'm totally freaking out about this MMI format! :eek:

Here are my stats in case it helps:

-4th-year Honours Kinesiology student at U of Waterloo

-OMSAS GPA: 3.85 (3.89 if supplemental, summer courses are discounted)

-Lots of volunteering & ECs, research experience, employment with Health Canada for a summer (SARS screening at Pearson Airport--what a summer!), employment in a family medicine clinic with 5 full-time family physicians, several scholarships, youth leader at church

Oh and what aer your chances AFTEr you get an interview? I heard for U of T it's like 1:1, but at Mac, is it something like 1:4? or even worse?

First of all, I don't think that any school has chances of admission at the rate of 1:1. If that were the case, there would be no purpose for interviews. But at Mac, it really depends on a lot of factors. I think that your chances based on the interview itself are about 1 in 3 or so. But, last year close to 100 people rejected their acceptance offer at Mac and chose to go to another school. So the chances for other applicants rose to about 1 in 2 overall.

lol, I think you should reconsider your definition of average. Congrats.

To be honest, I think that these stats are becoming typical of the 'average' applicant. Last year Mac had an average GPA of its accepted applicants of 3.8. The year before it was even higher. But even with a really high GPA and stellar EC's, admission is hardly a guarantee.

I remember being warned about answering Mac's questions. They look for people who address all parts of the questions.

For the 2006-2007 application cycle, I believe they asked, "Why do you wish to become a physician and not some other profession?" (or something along those lines) If an applicant only answered the first part of the question (which I heard a lot of people are likely to do), he/she couldn't have received full points for that response.

With this in mind, I constantly asked myself if I was truly answering the question when I was filling out the autobiographical submission.

I remember being warned about answering Mac's questions. They look for people who address all parts of the questions.

For the 2006-2007 application cycle, I believe they asked, "Why do you wish to become a physician and not some other profession?" (or something along those lines) If an applicant only answered the first part of the question (which I heard a lot of people are likely to do), he/she couldn't have received full points for that response.

With this in mind, I constantly asked myself if I was truly answering the question when I was filling out the autobiographical submission.

oops! I definitely did not answer that full question.....thanks for pointing that out ;p

As for acceptances, one thing to remember is that at Ottawa and at Mac, if you're from Ottawa/Gatineau or Hamilton, you get preference over someone who is let's say from Toronto. Whereas with Western, when you apply those from SW ontario who went to High school in that region, are required a lower MCAT in terms of a minimum section score and a lower writing score. So geographic location can be a factor post-interview I believe for certain schools.

Can you qualify that statement? I see nothing in the OMSAS booklet that mentions Mac gives preference to Hamilton residents nor in the "Medicine at McMaster" brochure. It does say 90% from Ontario and 10% from "Other" however.

As for acceptances, one thing to remember is that at Ottawa and at Mac, if you're from Ottawa/Gatineau or Hamilton, you get preference over someone who is let's say from Toronto. Whereas with Western, when you apply those from SW ontario who went to High school in that region, are required a lower MCAT in terms of a minimum section score and a lower writing score. So geographic location can be a factor post-interview I believe for certain schools.

That could be true. I know that unviersities have all sorts of insider rules to fill seats. tagreting specific high schools that they know are "quality" and those that they have had a long standing relationship with - in terms of student recruitment. It makes sense that with regional med schools - even within Ontario - that the med school admissions would favour prospctive students from the local area, or perhaps more relevant - the local "community" - menaing those that the university serves as a whole. The inidvidual unvieristy's strategic plan might shed some light on these unspoken decision making rumours.

Let's hope for those really want to go to a school out of their local region that they still have a shot and that the unspoken rules get bent a lot of the time.

I just wanted to write to wish everyone good luck for tomorrow, since I'm sure many of us from outside of Hamilton will be hearing then or the next day! I'm not holding out much hope for Mac, since my first year was shoddy and they count it equally, but I'm sending good vibes out to all of you ;).

All my best,

Jess

I remember reading it in some of the literature either from mac or omsas last year when I applied as a third year student. I'd love to find you guys a quote for it from somewhere, but it was in last year's documentation. I also remember hearing it from a couple of mac med students.

As for Ottawa, it's way more explicit in terms of Ottawa/Gatineau preference.

Archived