Premed 101 Forums

For the third year applicants

temp_degoo

Out of curiosity- I imagine most of you are enrolled in an Honours Bachelor of something. If you get accepted after your third year, will your institution grant you the Bachelors degree instead of the honours? I personally feel that without any letters after your name for 3 years of hard work, one more year is very tempting. Or is undergrad only a stepping stone into medicine so its irrelevant if you get the degree or not?

My undergrad will grant me a degree...but I have to switch out of my honours program for that.

I never knew this was possible at some schools. So basically you get a degree even though you don't satisfy the credit requirements for a BSc? I don't see how that is fair to others who finish their degree and then go into meds.

Is that for all degrees that are 4 years at Queen's? At my school, our degrees in Science are divided in General (which is designed to be completed in 3 years but some take 2 or 4), the 4-year major, and the 4-year honours. The honours degree is usually waay less flexible and has a ton of required courses.

I never knew this was possible at some schools. So basically you get a degree even though you don't satisfy the credit requirements for a BSc? I don't see how that is fair to others who finish their degree and then go into meds.

I believe those who were granted their degree after 3 years did not receive their Honours degree (unless they completed all the requirements in the 3 years). What can happen, if you plan it properly, is to make sure when picking your courses that you would satisfy the requirements at your school for a "general degree". These degrees can normally be completed in 3-years as they have less coursework requirements, more flexibility and no honours thesis to complete.

Archived