Premed 101 Forums

Writing MCAT in September

Majestic82

Hi everyone,

I was thinking of writing the MCAT on September 6th or 7th 2007 and then applying to a few of the medical schools in Ontario the same Fall. I figure that the deadline for the Ontario medical schools to recieve your MCAT score is usually around Oct 12th, 13th or so, and with the new MCAT, I should have my score within 30 days.

Does anyone see any problems that I might have with this plan? I just want to see what other people think.

Thank you!

Does anyone see any problems that I might have with this plan? I just want to see what other people think.

The only issue I can think of is that since now the MCAT is offered so many times a year, they MAY make up a rule saying they will no longer wait after the deadline for the scores to be released. This is not the case now, but with all the schemes they come up to try and take you down, I would be mindful of that. If you can get an August date that's not so early that you won't have ample time to prepare, you're better off since you'll cover your butt for any of those changes.

You won't know if they are gonna make those changes or not until probably a couple of months from now, when the apps are ready to go out, at which point it would be too late to re-register.

I'm from the "better safe than sorry" school of thought.

I was mainly concerned with if you thought there was enough time between when I may hear back about my MCAT score and when the MCAT scores are due to OMSAS.

Is the MCAT score *guaranteed* to be returned within 30 days? Or is it most likely returned within 30 days?

Also, does it take a day or two for your MCAT to be "released" after actually releasing them online?

Call AAMC.....

They will never guarantee it, because there may be technical problems, rescoring issues, etc, but you could ask "what percentage of scores is successfully released within a 40-day period after the exam" or something along those lines. If they say "98%," you know you're fine, but if it's "70%," you got a problem.

Archived