Premed 101 Forums

Diploma to Degree

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this one. Someone I know completed a two yr program in college and has found out that he can continue for another two years in university to get his degree. It is a non-science related program but he is planning on taking all the pre-reqs within those two years (its a bit nutty, isn't it?). anyway, he was asking me on how that would look on his application and I, unfortunately, don't know the answer to this one.

Thats the route I took and it worked for me... a Post-RN degree (which is just under two years) after my RN diploma was sufficient to fulfill the requirements I needed...

If your friend is concerned about his application, I would suggest he speak to the admission department of the school(s) he wishes to attend - to get the information from them directly.

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this one. Someone I know completed a two yr program in college and has found out that he can continue for another two years in university to get his degree. It is a non-science related program but he is planning on taking all the pre-reqs within those two years (its a bit nutty, isn't it?). anyway, he was asking me on how that would look on his application and I, unfortunately, don't know the answer to this one.

• 3 weeks later...

NurseNathalie,

May I know which post-rn program you've done and what med school you are currently attending? I am also in the same position as him. I am almost done my diploma here in Qc. But I realized that I would like to enter med school. I'm seriously thinking about studying for a BA because I am interested in that field and have a higher chance for getting and maintaining a high gpa (compared to nursing bachelor). Nsg, I find, is a pretty rigorous program but however, I've done very good so far. Anyhow, I hope I am not intruding and hope to hear from you soon!

Thats the route I took and it worked for me... a Post-RN degree (which is just under two years) after my RN diploma was sufficient to fulfill the requirements I needed...

If your friend is concerned about his application, I would suggest he speak to the admission department of the school(s) he wishes to attend - to get the information from them directly.

I also completed a degree completion program. I went to Ryerson University, and earned a Bachelor of Health Administration in Health Services Management. The program was designed for practicing health care profressionals who had completed a college program.

The program was offered in an alternate delivery format. Classes were offered either at night, over weekends or by distance. The degree is officially a part-time degree; however, I completed it full time (because of my plans of applying to medical school). Classes were small, ranging from 8 people to 40 people. Even now that the program has expanded (since I graduated in 2004), the maximum class size is 40.

One of the biggest advantages of the program was that my classes were made up of people who were practicing health care professionals. I got to learn about different health care fields from people working in those fields. There were lots of assignments that were completed in groups, and my groups were made up of nurses, respiratory therapists, X-ray techs, ultra sound techs, etc. (I'm a paramedic.)

Another big advantage for me was that I could continue to work while going to school. Because of the format of courses, I continued to work shifts around my classes. I live alone, and have a mortgage. Thus, I couldn't afford to quit work, or even drop to part-time while going to university. So, I continued to work full time (albiet a slightly modified schedule) while attending classes full time. Doing so would have been much more difficult had I had classes Monday to Friday. (I work an average of 3.3 12-hour shifts a week.)

I highly recommend this program for anyone who has graduated from a college program in health care field. It will give you your four year degree (which Western considers equivalent to an Honours degree), while giving you credit for work you've already done. It will also allow you to continue working if you would like.

Elaine

• 5 years later...
It will give you your four year degree (which Western considers equivalent to an Honours degree), while giving you credit for work you've already done. It will also allow you to continue working if you would like.

Elaine

I know this is an old forum, but I got caught on those words. I'm wrapping up a 4 year BHSc degree through Thompson Rivers University- I transferred over from my Respiratory Therapist diploma.

Is it true that it is equivalent to an Honors degree?

Archived