Premed 101 Forums

U of A interview Invites

I don't know why, but I am nervous about this interview.

I suppose U of A is my best chance, because I am inprovince and the pressure is higher.

Apical, do you have any advice for me?

Hey bellaortho,

My advice is be yourself and don't let any one intimidate you. I remember my interview - there were a couple people in the waiting room that I thought would destroy me, but it all worked out in the end. Also, don't be afraid to take a couple seconds before answering the question (not too long though). Some people jump right in and end up running around in circles. It is a good idea to think about what you are going to say, arrange it in your head and then give a concise and meaningful answer. Be prepared for follow-up questions.

Good luck,

ap

Hey Apical,

Thanks for your post. I felt that my UBC interview went okay.. THey asked me a tricky question and my mind went blank. I didn't say anything for what seemed like an hour.. but actually it was maybe 15 seconds... i hope I didn't really mess it up.

I forgot to initiate the "shaking ofthe hands" at the interivew, so they had to do it.. is that bad too?

________

Yamaha Tx650

Hey Apical,

Thanks for your post. I felt that my UBC interview went okay.. THey asked me a tricky question and my mind went blank. I didn't say anything for what seemed like an hour.. but actually it was maybe 15 seconds... i hope I didn't really mess it up.

I forgot to initiate the "shaking ofthe hands" at the interivew, so they had to do it.. is that bad too?

YOU FORGOT TO INITIATE THE SHAKING OF THE HANDS?!?!?!? OMG...psych. Don't worry...hand shaking is a pretty casual social convention and just because you didn't initiate it is no big deal.

Hello all and congrats on getting an interview.

Does anyone, either applying to or currently attend U of A dentistry, know if I should count myself out of the interview if I live in Edmonton and still have not recieved an invitation....do they sent on interview invites all at once ???:o

Hey,

I'm from the Toronto area and I got my invite in the mail today.

For those of you worrying about rejection, I know one person who is from Ontario that received a rejection from UofA about a month ago by mail. Don't give up hope on getting an invite.

Have a good one!

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has any idea how many people UofA interviews?

~90

So you're competing against them plus all the people who interviewed at other schools and send their results to the U of A, plus all the people who interviewed in previous years who have re-applied.

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if someone can comment on UofA's policy of "re-interviewing." It says on the invite letter that the team of interviewers or the interviewee is able to request to be re-interviewed the day of his/her interview. Does this happen often? Do the interviewers do this if they think someone has a good shot but maybe froze during their interview?

Any insight into this policy would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if someone can comment on UofA's policy of "re-interviewing." It says on the invite letter that the team of interviewers or the interviewee is able to request to be re-interviewed the day of his/her interview. Does this happen often? Do the interviewers do this if they think someone has a good shot but maybe froze during their interview?

Any insight into this policy would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

The interview team will almost never request that a candidate be re-interviewed. Say that a member of the interview team feels ill and throws up half way through your interview. In a case like that they would probably request that you start fresh with a new panel.

The interview panel will never tell you that they think you should re-interview because you had a good shot but froze. That is up to you to decide. After the interview you have 30 mins to decide if you want to be re-interviewed by another team. Most people only do that if they really screwed up. People tend to do better during their first interview than their second.

I attended a workshop a while ago (general interview techniques) and they said that you only shake hands if the person who is interviewing you motions to do so. You, as the interviewee, are never to intiate the hand shaking (I initiated in a mock, and they said that was inappropriate etiquette).

Archived