Premed 101 Forums

UBC Admissions?

Actually, be careful how you interpret those numbers. The tuition is only ~$15,000 with a clinical fee of ~$23,000. .

Yea...

I have a buddy at UBC right now. Apparently you don't even use the clinic in your first year that much...so you're paying 23 K for what again???

Anywho...thats the way it is, and students there are happy so be it....

Ill go back to my anxiety waiting for U of T now ...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right Mkmkhan. What the faculty decided to do was divide the clinic fee across all 4 years so you are paying the same amount every year. Thus you pay for the clinic before you get to use it much. Do I agree? NO! Why the heck do I have to pay for my future use and what if I decide to walk away?

However, we have brought it up with the dean and he has stated that in order to run the clinic, they decided to do it this way. Any changes made will reflect in more money due to the fact they have to borrow the money they budget from the earlier years.

Also, Mkmkhan, you're wrong - students aren't happy with it. Most of us still harbor hatred over this set up (yours truly included). However, people are still going through the program.

As I said at the tours, you have to find out everything you can about the schools that accept you so that you can decide which one fits you most. Some want the cheapest education they can get. Others want the prestige of being at a top school while others just want to stay close to home. Finally, there are those who have no choice because only one school accepted them.

I encourage those of you who consider UBC to find out everything you can. I have said in previous posts I will answer any question you have and help you obtain as much info as possible so that when you make your decision, you make one that works for you.

You will be my future colleague so I want to help you as one day I may need your help. It won't offend me if you decide to go to another school nor if you choose UBC. Just make sure you choose the right one (which may not be UBC).

Mkmkhan, I wish you good luck with U of T. It certainly is a prestigious school with a well-known program. The only small caveat is being in the top percentage for specialization post-dental school will be one hell of a ride. You will face the worst competition since your fellow classmates are just as keen if not more and all will want to specialize.

I am not aware of any data on the proportion of of each class that goes on to specialize. I do not know if any such data is available elsewhere. However, most people do have it in mind. Keep in mind that there are only 10 spots for the top 10, right? If you want to specialize, you gotta be at the top. This is the case everywhere. Do you think it's harder to be at the top in UBC or U of T or Western, for example?

Is it true that this clinic fee plan was drawn along with students???

I'd be surprised if the faculty was the only deciding factor was this new funding plan...

From what I heard, students were a part of this decision to get a new clinic and fund it through their tuition fees....

I don't know to what extent this is true....

Mkmkhan, I wish you good luck with U of T. It certainly is a prestigious school with a well-known program. The only small caveat is being in the top percentage for specialization post-dental school will be one hell of a ride. You will face the worst competition since your fellow classmates are just as keen if not more and all will want to specialize.

Thanks Adversary!!! ...I should be finding out before the end of February according to U of T ...I'll let you know...

Yea, its gonna be tough ....cream of the crop at u of t and any other professional program for that matter

The clinic fee addition was approved by students of years ago. The ever increasing clinic fee for each class that comes in was always approved by the current classes. For example, the increase for the Class of 2011 from the Class of 2010 had the approval of current UBC Dental students (Class of 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010). Traditionally, any increases other than inflation require the approval of the students.

To be honest, there's not much to say or do. The faculty did their number crunching and presented the costs to which an increase is necessary. These costs include the clinic staff salary, etc. The reason why costs are continually going up is due to the fact all governments provide very little support to dental programs which is viewed completely segregated from health care despite the fact that we are oral health care providers.

Mkmkhan,

You might be able to help me with this - isn't the cost of U of T close to $40,000? I had the impression that U of T wasn't that far off from UBC. However, I have no idea where I read this. Do you know the current costs for U of T?

$ 26,362.22 - thats the total cost as per the website

http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/admissions/undergraduatesummary.html

Also....isn't vancity expensive in general compared to toronto???

I'd probably be saving 10-15 K at the least ....I live in toronto btw...maybe I'd opt to stay at home and save a few dollars....meh maybe not ;)

UBCfnh,

I have heard from this forum that the waitlist moves a lot, but I have no firsthand information on that. I think if you search the forum, one of my classmates that got off the waitlist was like precentile? Not sure. Just look for 2005 posts. However, I would imagine the waitlist movement varies from year to year.

Mkmkhan,

Oh nice - so it is equivalent to Western which when I was accepted was ~25,000. It is indeed the clinic fee that boosted UBC right to the top.

Yes, from what I heard from my colleagues who came from Toronto, it is significantly more expensive here. However, he did point out that Toronto has mostly older condos and apartments whereas here you are picking brand new ones. It also depends on what you are looking for. The same collaegue lives in a VERY NICE area of downtown.

Honestly, cost-wise and reputation, U of T is ideal for you. As I said in my previous posts, find the school that fits you best. It would seem U of T fits you best.

hey

im new to the forum but i thought i would join. i think the emails have gone out because i did receive one that granted admission to UBC, i was happy but im kind of in a dilemma and would like some advice

i am a UofA student and it seems ubc wants a 9000 deposit before the UofA interviews are even held and i have an interview there as well and i really like both schools, so i would pretty much have to forefit my ubc seat to wait for UofA. any advice on this??? is ubc a lot better than u of a???

thanks

shocker

Congratulations Shocker!

You will be a future colleague for sure!

Yes, it is a dilemma! I do not know which school is better, but I can tell you this. You can contact me with any questions you may have about UBC Dentistry and when you visit U of A, ask them everything too. That way, as stated in my previous posts, you can determine which school fits you best, factoring what is most important to you as I listed before (location, prestige, technology, etc). NO ONE CAN TELL YOU BECAUSE NO ONE IS GOING TO BOTH SCHOOLS TO TELL YOU WHICH ONE IS BETTER. Remember, both schools have undergone currciulum changes, etc so only current students can tell you how the program is going.

I have private messaged you my contact info. Also, see my new thread about visiting UBC.

If you received a CONDITIONAL acceptance, I cannot tell you any information. However, if you are accepted without "conditional" attached to it, once you pay the deposit, the spot is yours. When I was applying in 2005, UBC Admissions told me that once my deposit is accepted, there are no conditions attached. I barely studied for my April exams that year and to this day I still have no idea how well I did.

Archived