Premed 101 Forums

Does the degree have to be conferred in June in order to matriculate?

Hi people.

I was just wondering if somebody could help me figure out my situation. I will have 22.0 full credit equivalents by the end of this year; however, I am holding off one course that I plan on taking over the summer before I meet the complete requirements for my honours degree. On their website, it states that:

To be eligible to apply, students must have completed or be currently enrolled in a program leading to a four-year honours degree or equivalent from a recognized university and expect to have completed a minimum of 20 full or equivalent courses by the end of the academic year (September - April) in which application is being made. Please note: the MCAT is still required to apply to this medical school.

I figured I've got the two checked off, since I am enrolled in a four-year honours program and I will have the minimum 20 credits by the end of the year. In addition, in that application info pdf on the website, nowhere does it say that the degree actually has to be conferred, the only conditional offers that are made are if you only have one year above the cutoff or if you are a masters or phd student, after which they want to see proof of completion of your degree. I'm sorry for the long rant, I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that it should be okay if I complete my degree over the summer instead of at the end of this year.

Thanks for your advice, people.

I don't think that not actually having the degree conferred should be a big problem... however, they may require some kind of documentation from your school stating that you are eligible to have the degree conferred and that it will be conferred at a later time (like fall convocation). You usually have until the end of Aug to complete the conditions of a conditional acceptance.

I would double check with the powers may be. If you need all the pre-reqs (ie honours degree) prior to August, then conferring in the fall may be a bit late. I am not sure, so check into it if it will affect you (aneliz's suggestion makes perfect sense though). However, right now, as medical students, if we fail our fourth year OSCE and have to delay our graduation from medical school, we cannot start residency in Ontario until after our degree has been conferred, even if during the fall convocation.

Archived