Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Date: 9 May

Result: low waitlist

2BY: 3.94 ish, can't remember

MCAT: 515 (130, 129, 130, 126)

Interview: left in tears so can't really say I'm surprised.

Trying my hardest to be positive about this. There's a reason things happen the way they do. Going to keep trying, hopefully I'll see you lovely folks as either fellow interviewees or better yet, med 1s!

Best of luck out there!!!

Time Stamp: 10:50 AM

Result: Normal waitlist

2BY: ~3.9
MCAT: Just above cut-offs
Interview: Walked out feeling okay (i'm normally a catastrophic thinker lol), flip-flopped a little, but it was overall pretty mediocre. Didn't make that great of a connection with the panel. They were cold, but polite. Barely cracked smiles, and I'm usually pretty good at extracting a chortle or some sort of huff. Did seem impressed at some points, although I made sure to be humble, too. Received a few comments at the end about being a good fit for the school which was reassuring, but I guess they didn't mean much. Definitely stumbled on one ethics question and gave a few meh answers. 

Welp. Praying for Windsor. Congrats to those who got acceptances!! Also, check your junk email because that's where I found mine. I'll be joining y'all on the support thread...

Time Stamp:10:47 AM

Result: Low waitlist

2BY: 3.87
MCAT: Met cutoffs
Interview: This was my second time interviewing at Western, so I was a lot less nervous. I though I had good rapport with my interviewers, and made 'em laugh twice. I had high hopes walking out of there, but in the following days I replayed my interview over and over in my head, cringing at all the minor faux pas I made, and kicking myself for not mentioning this and that. Still, I thought I made a good impression overall.

Feeling pretty shitty right now. Congrats to those who got / will get accepted, and best of luck to those on the normal waitlist!

Today is really the best day ever!!

Result: Accepted to London campus 

Timestamp: 12:06 pm 

wGPA: 3.98

MCAT: 518

ECs: no hospital volunteering, research, long term community work, lots of school clubs

Essays: worked on them for about 5 weeks, were very well done.

Interview: Thought I did very well, was a really good experience

Year: 4th year UG

Geography: IP

will most likely turn this down for Toronto.... good luck to those on the waitlist.

Result: Accepted to London Campus

Timestamp: 12:07 pm

wGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 516

ECs: Nothing hugely unusual. Executive member of a strings orchestra for three years, exec on a student union, edited for a few student publications. I was published as a sole author in two student journals.

Interview: Felt very strong about it 

Year: 3rd year, but graduating this year with a BA (took courses over the summer, etc.)

Will probably decline this acceptance -- good luck to those on the waitlist! 

Oh me oh my.

Result: Accepted to Windsor campus 

Timestamp: 12:04 pm 

wGPA: 3.99

MCAT: 516

Interview: Thought it went exceptionally well, guess I was right.

Year: 4th year UG

Geography: SWOMEN

I'll be accepting. If you end up at Windsor and have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Timestamp: 12:12 pm 

wGPA: 3.99 conditional (this year is 3.97)

MCAT: 515

Interview: Thought it went terrible honestly. The only time I felt it went well was .02 seconds after leaving the interview room, and then it was downhill from there

Year: 5th year UG

I don't think I have ever been so excited in my life. Good luck to those on the waitlist! And if you aren't successful this year, keep trying! And just know that a bad GPA/MCAT isn't the end of the world! I really messed up my third year and my cGPA was only 3.72 this application cycle. And I wrote the MCAT 3 times. Just keep pushing if this is what you really want!

Timestamp: 12:13 pm EST

2YGPA: 3.81

MCAT: 513 (126/129/130/128)

Interview: Felt fairly good afterwards but after lots of over analyzing I wasn't so sure it went well. Turns out I should've stuck with my initial gut feelings towards it!

Year: Last year of MSc

Geography: IP, not SWOMEN

Just goes to show you that's it's not ALL about the stats. I assumed I was going into the interview near the bottom of the list due to MCAT scores that just made the cutoffs and not having a 3.9+ GPA (my cGPA is 3.69 so I just felt lucky to even get one interview at all after complete rejections last cycle and rejections everywhere else this cycle). I felt okay after my interview so I was expecting to get somewhere on the wait list, especially after seeing such high stats posted in the interview thread. Clearly, the interview is incredibly important so to anyone who will be applying in the future or didn't quite make it this year, do not feel discouraged if your stats aren't perfect. It is possible to get into medical school with a sub-3.9 GPA and decent MCAT scores. All you need is one chance :)

Time Stamp: 12:18AM EST

Result: Accepted!! (London)

2BY: ~3.94
MCAT: 13BS:10PS:11VR

Interview: Made the interviewers laugh a couple times, they asked questions about my EC's and seemed interested. Still convinced myself it was super average/bad during the wait but think it went really went in hindsight. 

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!!!

Result: Low wait list (reject)

Timestamp: 10:47 pm

wGPA: ~3.9

MCAT: 519

ECs: Emphasis on research, though no pubs.  Some volunteering, a little leadership, few awards.

Interview: Definitely could have improved some answers, but felt overall left a good impression at first.  On the other hand, some of my answers that I thought were good probably came off as rambling.

Year: 4th year

Non-SWOMEN

Would love to kill all three of the panel interviewers.

Result: Accepted (Campus Unspecified, London preferred) (Update: accepted to London campus)

Timestamp: 12:17

wGPA:  ~3.8 (honestly not sure because i have extra half credits that I'm not sure how they weighted them)

MCAT: 524 (132/130/131/131)

Interview: Thought I bombed.... must have been better than it felt (I think I may have been overly focused on the one question I really struggled with)

Year: finished undergrad for a year

Geography: Non Swomen

I will be accepting regardless of which campus I get into

Result: Accepted to unspecified campus (EDIT: London Campus specified 5/25/2017 @ 12:03 PM EST)
Timestamp: 12:07 PM EST
2YGPA: >3.9
MCAT: 513 (128/128/128/129)

ECS: varsity soccer, varsity cross country, student council, volunteer work, good summer jobs with the government, clinical experience (worked for two ophthalmologists in Miami as one of my clinical rotations), almost zero research experience
Interview: I thought it went ok. I didn't feel like the interviewers liked me at all. Still cringing about one of the answers that I gave.
Year: last year of Doctor of Optometry

I will be accepting this offer and hoping that I won't have to move out of London because the bus stop to Western is on my front lawn. This was my first time applying to medical school because I spent almost my entire life wanting to become an optometrist.

Result: Acceptance (London)

Timestamp: 12:05 pm Eastern

cGPA: 4.0 (OMSAS)

MCAT: 522 (131,128,132,131)

EC's: hospital volunteering, respite volunteering, TAships, research (1 publication), various hobbies.

Interview: I thought it went well. Slipped up on one of the questions but other than that I was relaxed and gave (in my opinion) thoughtful responses.

Year: jst finished undergrad

Will be accepting. Good luck to all waiting!

Result: Accepted to London campus!
Timestamp: 12:04 pm EST
2YGPA: 4.00 (I took more than 5 courses per year, so top 5)
MCAT: 516 (129/129/128/130)
Interview: Thought it went well despite some hiccups. I felt like I connected with them, made them laugh a few times
Year: 4th year
Geography: IP, non SWOMEN

Will be accepting my offer! So pumped!! Torturous waiting till noon for that email to come in...