Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Accepted (unspecified) 

Timestamp: 10:19

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: above cutoffs 

ECs: a cool job, hospital and first response volunteering, clubs and hobbies 

interview: generally pretty good, with a few answers that I over analyzed afterwards. 

Geography: non-SWOMEN, IP

Does anyone know anything about the undetermined site situation? I'm lucky enough to have a few acceptances and am starting to try  to make a choice, but location is definitely a factor. 

Result: Accepted London campus!

Timestamp: 10:21 am May 8th 2018

Email subject: Good News from Schulich Medicine

GPA: I don't remember how weighting works, but close to 4.0.

MCAT: above cutoffs 

ECs: average probably, some research.

interview: felt good in the first 5 minutes after I came out, and straight downward ever since.

Geography: non-SWOMEN, IP

Will be declining this offer in favour of Toronto/Mac. Best of luck to those on the wait list!

Edited by beepboopbot
to ease potential anxiety of future generations

Result: Accepted, London campus

Timestamp: 11:22 am (UTC-4:00, Atlantic) on May 8th, 2018

2YGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 519 391 (130/130/131/128)

ECs: ~100 hours clinical volunteering, ~300 hours clinical employment, lots of sports, zero research

Interview: Strong beginning and end but felt a little weak in the middle. Felt good overall though, felt like my interview and stats would land me a high wait-list.

Geography: OOP

Year: Gap year after graduating from BSc in May 2017

Thanks to everyone on the forum who has helped me and others throughout the application cycle - it has been much appreciated! Good luck to all

1 hour ago, Guillaume Pelletier said:

Result: Waitlisted... "In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have not received an offer of admission." :(

Timestamp: 11:43 am UTC-4:00 (Atlantic)

GPA (converted to OMSAS system): 3.82

MCAT: CPFBS 130 / CARS 132 / BBFLS 130 / PSBSB 126 (Total 518 / 97th percentile)

ECs: insane amount, more than 80 hours a week of stuff, ACTIVE president of almost everything and active member of almost everything else, photography business owner, computer programmer, a ton of interesting life experiences and unique initiatives, master's student with 1 publication + 1 more on its way...

Interview: I feel it could have gone better, but it didn't go badly.

Year: 3rd year MSc (graduating this year)

Geography: New Brunswick

I've been trying to get into med school in Canada since 2010, as this was always my lifelong dream. I was just offered the only full-tuition scholarship they give out at Saint James School of Medicine in Anguilla, and I declined it a few days ago (otherwise I could not have completed the MSc requirements for an offer from Schulich). I'm devastated and considering this religion / praying thing right now.

Have you attempted to apply to Maritime schools being from NB? You're stats are certainly competitive and demonstrate that you can succeed at rigorous studies. I had been applying since 2010 as well, and got in on my 4th try. Do not give up if you truly feel like this is what you want. 

19 minutes ago, NotADoctor said:

Have you attempted to apply to Maritime schools being from NB? You're stats are certainly competitive and demonstrate that you can succeed at rigorous studies. I had been applying since 2010 as well, and got in on my 4th try. Do not give up if you truly feel like this is what you want. 

There are some things I cannot talk about in more specific detail, but I can say that due to circumstances entirely outside my control back in 2012 (you could say I am a victim of extremely bad luck, but that's all I can say on here) as well as entirely arbitrary admission policies, I am forever* inadmissible to the trio of Quebec med schools for francophone New Brunswickers. This is the usual and most facilitated path towards an MD degree for French-speaking students from Université de Moncton, where I currently attend. There is no culture of MCAT-taking at my school, so very little support outside the French Quebec network.

There are also some provisions in place for facilitating access to Ottawa (the French cohort), Dalhousie and Memorial for my demographic, but so far I have not been offered a single interview since 2012 other than at Schulich (it's complicated). Therefore if I want to stay in Canada, I am forced to apply to every school as an OOP, and the requirements are insanely high (just as an example, while I met every other requirement, I was not offered an interview at USask only because my MCAT score of 97th percentile was below the 99th percentile cutoff for OOP). I spent around 2500$ on admissions this year alone, just for schools in Canada, and excluding the cost of my Schulich interview (last minute flight because I got offered an interview later than other people, accommodations, car rental, new blazer... it seems like a minor thing to worry about, but it adds up and money is a concern when you've already been in school for ten years lol). So yeah, I applied pretty much everywhere. I'm really praying for a miracle, as I fell in love with Schulich almost immediately: the people are great and I swear the program there is tailor-made for someone like me lol.

Thanks for the encouraging words though! You're most kind. I wish everyone the best of luck :)

-------
* Forever, or until admissions policies change (this actually happened for Ottawa)

Result: Accepted (Windsor Campus, 1st choice)

Timestamp: 10:20 AM EST

2YGPA: ~3.9

MCAT: 520 (128/131/131/130)

ECs: A bit off the beaten curve; dropped out of school to work full-time from age 15-19 to support the family by myself and worked hard to get back into school, did lots of advocacy work for people with developmental disabilities (both solo and w/ an organization I helped found), ran several after school programs (both as a facilitator and behind the scenes as a member of the advisory board), some overseas volunteering, interesting hobbies, etc. Zero research.

Interview: I felt the beginning was strong but I faltered towards the end. I went against Schulich's interview advice and disclosed that I had a neurodevelopmental disability (because it was a big part of my answer to one of the questions), and the doctor on the panel did a huge double take lol. I guess I should have seen it as a positive sign of how articulate I was up to that point rather than worried about it like I did.

Geography: OOP (BC)

Year: Graduated BSc, 2018

I'll be accepting this offer and I'm thrilled about the opportunity. My 17-year-old high school dropout working a dead-end job self would have never seen something like this coming.

Edit: Added a few ECs in case it helps anyone - I got in with no research or clinical experience, so I think that's an interesting takeaway.

Edited by inner-exodus
moar ECs

Result: Accepted! (London Campus)

Timestamp: May 8th;  10:25 AM EST

2 yr GPA: 3.87
MCAT:  CPFBS 128 / CARS 129 / BBFLS 129 / PSBSB 129

ECs/Volunteer: Some research (no pubs), various volunteer (hospitals, school writing centre) , dragon boat 

InterviewMy second cycle interviewing here. It went significantly better than last year, but there were still 3 or 4 questions that I thought i was below-average on. I was also really nervous and talked fast. But overall, I felt like I had strong content. 

Year: Finished UG in 2016, working since then

Geography: IP, non-SWOMEN

Will be accepting! 

12 minutes ago, inner-exodus said:

Result: Accepted (Windsor Campus, 1st choice)

Timestamp: 10:20 AM EST

2YGPA: ~3.9

MCAT: 520 (128/131/131/130)

ECs: A bit off the beaten curve; dropped out of school to work full-time from age 15-19 to support the family by myself and worked hard to get back into school, lots of advocacy work for people with developmental disabilities (both solo and w/ an organization I helped found), some overseas volunteering, interesting hobbies, etc.

Interview: I felt the beginning was strong but I faltered towards the end. I went against Schulich's interview advice and disclosed that I had a neurodevelopmental disability (because it was a big part of my answer to one of the questions), and the doctor on the panel did a huge double take lol. I guess I should have seen it as a positive sign of how articulate I was up to that point rather than worried about it like I did.

Geography: OOP (BC)

Year: Graduated BSc, 2018

I'll be accepting this offer and I'm thrilled about the opportunity. My 17-year-old high school dropout working a dead-end job self would have never seen something like this coming.

Great job! Congrats on the acceptance :)! 

3 hours ago, Guillaume Pelletier said:

There are some things I cannot talk about in more specific detail, but I can say that due to circumstances entirely outside my control back in 2012 (you could say I am a victim of extremely bad luck, but that's all I can say on here) as well as entirely arbitrary admission policies, I am forever* inadmissible to the trio of Quebec med schools for francophone New Brunswickers. This is the usual and most facilitated path towards an MD degree for French-speaking students from Université de Moncton, where I currently attend. There is no culture of MCAT-taking at my school, so very little support outside the French Quebec network.

There are also some provisions in place for facilitating access to Ottawa (the French cohort), Dalhousie and Memorial for my demographic, but so far I have not been offered a single interview since 2012 other than at Schulich (it's complicated). Therefore if I want to stay in Canada, I am forced to apply to every school as an OOP, and the requirements are insanely high (just as an example, while I met every other requirement, I was not offered an interview at USask only because my MCAT score of 97th percentile was below the 99th percentile cutoff for OOP). I spent around 2500$ on admissions this year alone, just for schools in Canada, and excluding the cost of my Schulich interview (last minute flight because I got offered an interview later than other people, accommodations, car rental, new blazer... it seems like a minor thing to worry about, but it adds up and money is a concern when you've already been in school for ten years lol). So yeah, I applied pretty much everywhere. I'm really praying for a miracle, as I fell in love with Schulich almost immediately: the people are great and I swear the program there is tailor-made for someone like me lol.

Thanks for the encouraging words though! You're most kind. I wish everyone the best of luck :)

-------
* Forever, or until admissions policies change (this actually happened for Ottawa)

Do you qualify for NB status at Dal or are you considering OOP for some reason? Your stats, if in province for NB, guarantee you an interview at least between 2012 and last year's cycle (don't know how you did on CASPer obviously). 

Result: Accepted (unspecified campus) 

Time: 10:27 am

2YGPA: 3.83

MCAT: 128/131/127/130

ECs: Couple research (no pubs), hospital volunteering, lots of committees, some athletics

Interview: Went pretty smoothly, one interviewer was very positive and encouraging and another glared the whole time. Short - only 35 mins and first person done in my hallway!

Geography: IP, SWOMEN

Year: BScH 2018

If anyone has any more information on the unspecified campus thing please let me know!! I have a conditional offer (that I fulfilled) so maybe that has something to do with it?

Most likely accepting unless I hear back from Mac!

2 hours ago, Chels1267 said:

Do you qualify for NB status at Dal or are you considering OOP for some reason? Your stats, if in province for NB, guarantee you an interview at least between 2012 and last year's cycle (don't know how you did on CASPer obviously). 

I do qualify for NB status but due to the 2012 misfortune I vaguely referred to in a previous post (something completely outside my control), I haven't had a single offer to interview in six years. Schulich was the first to give me a chance. Assuming I don't get an offer this year, the plan is to do road construction in Alberta to pay off student loans, and then it's Europe 2019 for me! Admissions there are rather different.

Hey what is the wording for the wait list? Does each tier get the:

"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offer that is not accepted will be filled by an individual from the Wait List."; and its what"s after that sentence that determines the tier?

I am guessing the "in recent years, applicants in your position on the wait list have received an offer of admission." is the high tier? 'Cause if so I went for the low last year to the high this year.

43 minutes ago, LFOHarmonics said:

Hey what is the wording for the wait list? Does each tier get the:

"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offer that is not accepted will be filled by an individual from the Wait List."; and its what"s after that sentence that determines the tier?

I am guessing the "in recent years, applicants in your position on the wait list have received an offer of admission." is the high tier? 'Cause if so I went for the low last year to the high this year.

Yes, if you got that latter sentence then you are in the high waitlist. 

Good luck, I’m rooting for you!

Result: "good" waitlist 

Timestamp: May 8, 2018 @ 10:38AM

2 yr GPA: ~3.95?
MCAT: 131/131/130

ECs/Volunteer: Student leadership positions (long term), full time work since graduation, some sports & fine arts, various (not very long term) volunteering roles - none at hospitals/healthcare, very minimal research/lab volunteering, working with various populations

InterviewI felt like it was my best interview compared to my own performance at other schools, but overall felt like objectively I did just ok (as my performance at other schools felt.. not great). Had some laughs, did my best to build rapport, but had a weak/awkward answer on the last question and probably left the interviewers with a bad impression late in the game. Did have some time for asking my own questionsat the end and finished right on time - not early nor late. 

Panicked a bit on the written portion and was paranoid that I'd failed it and shot myself in the foot for wester - but it looks like that turned out ok! 

Year: Graduated w/Bachelor's in 2017

Geography: OOP, non-SWOMEN

This result is pretty nerve wracking... anyone know if there have been years where they did not make their way through this section of the waitlist? I know there are no guarantees but I guess I'm looking for some empty reassurance ; u ;

Honestly interview day was such a positive experience for me and has really influenced where I would ideally want to study! All the students and staff/faculty that I interacted with were so friendly and excited to meet the applicants - they made me feel welcomed and at ease.  It was great to get the chance to experience a bit of the community vibe at the campus and tour the facilities, and I hope I get the honour of joining that community. 

I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE THIS IS HAPPENING

Result: Accepted to London

Time: 10:25 am

2YGPA: 3.9ish

cGPA: 3.6ish

MCAT: 128/128/128

ECs: Lots of competitive team sports, 4 years of volunteering on crisis lines, lots of work with survivors of sexual assault / domestic violence, some shadowing, and have a second author pub.

Interview: Was an awesome day - so thankful for the 2021 meds for making the interviewees feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible. All three of my interviewers were so friendly and engaged throughout the interview. The next day the doubt started to kick in. So glad to see this result - should have stuck with my gut feeling! 

Geography: IP, SWOMEN

Year: Finished undergrad in 2017

1 hour ago, healthscireject said:

Based on past Dean Reports 40% of SWOMEN candidates are not made offers (i.e. Waitlisted or Rejected)

Definitely biased but at my school it feels like 95% of SWOMEN got in so I'm interested to see the numbers haha. Kinda bitter I went 4/4 on Ontario schools but I won't get a chance to apply to Western due to being a 3rd year :P oh well