Premed 101 Forums

judging your interview experience

it means that you are like every single other applicant out there and are totally normal. everyone starts obsessing about tiny details of their interview after the interview. I think I drove all my friends and my entire family INSANE by obsessing so much.

The better way to think of it is that there is absolutely nothing you can do right now to change what happened and by obsessing, you are only going to drive both yourself and those around you insane. spend the time concentrating on school so that in case you need to reapply next year, your grades will be good

You feel good at first, because it's over....

Then you realize this was your last opportunity to make any impact on the adcom (unless of course they are waiting on some grades from your current courses), so you start freaking out and overanalyzing, because you can no longer do anything constructive, but have to just wait, for 2 or more months in many cases.

It's normal.....from what I've read on here in the 2 (gasp....I shouldn't admit this) years I've been on this forum, your personal opinion of how you did has little indication of what actually happened. People think they blew it and get in, while others think they did great and get rejected. It's hard to be objective in a high-stress situation, especially when you are not 100% sure what they are looking for, and also when you consider that tons of other people are interviewing, which means you could be doing much worse than others despite thinking you did well, or doing much better than them despite thinking you bombed everything.

I think what worries me the most was the attitude of my interviewers. I found that they were very cold and wondered if it was something about my application or me that they just didn't like. I also didn't get asked many questions about my past experience but more questions about what I have to contribute to particular situations etc. Given that I was a little nervous, I also am afraid that my answers didn't seem well thought out or good enough for what they were looking for. In any case... I'm glad one of them is over, now onto the others...

I don't think you can derive anything from your interviewers' attitudes either. Sometimes they act uninterested or grill you, just to see how you would react, but it doesn't necessarily mean they think you're boring or they think you don't know what you're talking about. I would even venture to say that maybe some interviewers go easy and act all nice, but deep down think you might not be right or ready for their school. (Not that that's a reassuring thought) But the point is, anyone can act, and interviewers have a good reason to (to figure out what you're like)...so again, dont go by the interviewers' reactions either.

Archived