Premed 101 Forums

Letters of thanks from program directors

Hi,

Is it common for programs to send out letters thanking you for attending their residency interview? I just received one from Western FM. Does everyone get one?... Or is it just the applicants they are hoping will choose their program? I am hoping it is the latter!

I know some programs send thank-you letters or follow-up e-mails to everyone they interview.

A few people I know have been "secretly" contacted post-CaRMS by program directors saying, "We REALLY want you to join our program. You're our #1 choice, make sure you rank US #1). Be careful of this - in some cases they might be telling you that to encourage you to rank their school highly so they can have their pick of the good applicants. For example, in my year, 3 people were the "number one choice" for U of T path. If two of those people had not ranked any other programs, they would have risked going unmatched.

Most programs don't send any correspondence out to anyone before match day.

So... I'd say your letter can only be a good sign, but don't put all of your hopes on it ie. I am DEFINITELY gonna match to Western FM after this letter.

Good luck :)

Hey there,

In terms of this year's match, I've received three e-letters from Program Directors. Two of them may be generic, i.e., sent to all interviewees, but I know, for sure, that one of them was sent to a small number of interviewees as I know other folks who didn't receive these e-mails. ...and yes, the latter was of the type, "We hope you rank us highly".

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived