Premed 101 Forums

How hard is it for Canadians to get competitive residency?

How hard is it for Canadians to get competitive residency such as neurosurgeon/radiology?

I hope it's a myth that Canadians educated at US med schools most likely can only become family practitioners/internalists.

I dont know where you got that from. I personally know of one canuck (graduated from georgetown) who is doing a radiology residency in toronto. Couple canadians in UVM went on to do surgery (ortho, general, urology) all over the US and Canada in the past 4-5 years...so you dont have to go to Columbia, Harvard to get a competetive residency...even though that will certainly help.

One of my buddy from Albany told me that.

it's not easy to get into comp residency. if everything is equal (board scores, school reputations, interview), the american citizenship it seems will still get the upper hand. but to say its always the case would be false :)

Well for those of you wondering ask me in 4 years...lol

Covering off the "educated in Canada, competitive residency in the States" angle just in case somebody wants to know about that...

Ian (the founder of this board) isn't around much these days, but if memory serves he's doing rads at a good school in the states. As well, last year a UWO Meds '06 matched to neurology at the Mayo Clinic.

Two data points do not a trend make, but it seems it's possible.

I saw that match list at UWO as well. But I can't find it anymore. Can you guys post a link. Actually, I want to try and post all the match lists at Canadian schools and make a mega-post. The CaRMs site is very good but it doesn't do justice because it's a very over all view. Also it obviously doesn't include the NRMP.

Yes - wow, there were a lot of Toronto md/phd graduates in US residencies! There were a lot of graduates going into radiology as well!

I wonder if this is because it is U of T...or just the md/phd thing? I'd like to see if what the match lists were like across different canadian schools - btw, do all canadian med schools offer the md/phd program or only the big research ones?

Archived