Premed 101 Forums

New Test Centers

JOTCH

New centers were just opened DOWNTOWN TORONTO.

Thanks for the info JOTCH! I just moved my test from Ottawa to Toronto, which is much closer. It's unfortunate that we have to pay $50USD each time we move the test, when the other test sites weren't originally available; however, by being closer to home/work, I will save the drive to Ottawa, and will not have to take a few hours off at the start of my night shift May 11. Overall, financially, it made sense to change.

Did anyone happen to notice that the addresses of the new triOS locations are the same as the previously released Thomson Prometric Test Centres? Does that mean that they've just expanded the number of seats at each location?

Elaine

You were taking it in Ottawa? Not 2 bad! I was going out of the country to take it

Hotel + travel expenses and time wasted and tiredness... = :mad:

I didn't notice for the adresses, but it seems many more locations were opened, especially in Ontario. MrsSauga, Sask, Hamilton, etc.

I originally booked in Watertown, NY, a 4 hour drive. When they opened up Kanata, I switched to that site. I have friends who live in Ottawa, so I was planning on staying with them the night before the exam. However, I'm due to work the night of the exam at 7pm in Toronto. I wasn't quite sure how I was going to get a few hours off at the start of my shift.... So, when they added the additional Toronto locations (or more spots at each location??), I switched again to Toronto.

When I made the initial switch from Watertown NY to Kanata ON, I sent an e-mail to the AAMC to see if they would refund the change fee, since I wouldn't have changed had the additional spots been available initially. (However, they likely would have been full...) I received a reply stating that I didn't qualify for a refund of the change fee. Either way, I am happy to be writing closer to home/work. (Did I just say I was happy to write the MCAT?!?! Yikes!!)

To me, changing to Toronto is worth the $50, as was changing from Watertown NY to Kanata. I don't want any unneccessary delays (border crossings, etc.) on my way to the exam! I haven't decided, but I may let the TTC take me to the doorstep of my exam. I'll have to check out the exact location before the date of the exam, in order to figure out how I'm going to get there. I'm just glad that the exam is at 12 noon, rather than 8 am!

Thanks again for posting that there were new locations!

Elaine

I also saw a 2nd Edmonton location for April 7th. Both Edmonton locations have seats on this day, so if you were unable to register, go ahead now! I don't know if these 2 locations are available for all dates though.

I unfortunately will have to stick with Sask for a # of reasons.

Signed up for July 13th in Ontario. I would rather write it on July 24th in the GTA area, but no additional centres have been added! Another 50USD down the drain once a test centre opens up for the 24th!

I'm in the same boat as you... a toast, to AAMC... king of the rip-off's! :D

Oh, and if someone happens to check and see more July 24 spots, could you please give us a shout on here? Thx.

and many thanks to JOCH as well for informing about the additional seats for the earlier dates.

12pm? you mean they don't expect you to get up at some un-godly hour in the morning? well that's at least a benefit from paper-based testing.

Yup, my Sask test is also at noon.

The Edmonton one would be at 8 AM, and I have to admit that it WAS a factor in my decision not to switch there from Sask, even though it would've saved me a night at the hotel and 2 hours' drive in every direction. I'm not a morning person, and I KNOW I'd mess up a couple of questions simply because I'm not awake!

Yep... I hate the early mornings too. I think that was responsible for me dozing off for 10 minutes during VR and barely finishing... that and the terminally boring passages. At least I still ended up doing ok.

I think your Sask test is on the 2nd day of my Royal College Exam... after which I intend to drink, drink, and drink some more... then go back to work and do call the next day... then start preparing for the #%% oral which they haven't been courteous enough to give us the dates for yet (could be as early as April 30).

12pm? you mean they don't expect you to get up at some un-godly hour in the morning? well that's at least a benefit from paper-based testing.

I would have liked writing it on paper though. It's so much faster to browse through the questions and the text rather than scrolling :(

Archived