Premed 101 Forums

Does a grad degree help for the US?

I know that in Canada, it doesn't really help that much, i.e. at U of T, they look at your research productivity, which isn't really that much easier to accomplish vs. undergrad marks, and McMaster almost doesn't even care, and other universities are kind of ambiguous, so who knows.

But yeah, does the US care if you have a Masters degree?

I know that in Canada, it doesn't really help that much, i.e. at U of T, they look at your research productivity, which isn't really that much easier to accomplish vs. undergrad marks, and McMaster almost doesn't even care, and other universities are kind of ambiguous, so who knows.

It doesnt hurt. and will only help you. But a Canadian 2 year master's degree will not rescue a low undergrad GPA. I think a person should do masters if their gpa is around 3.4-3.6 and have very little research experience. Remember your goal entering a Canadian master's degree should publication. This is because the course work you take will not dent your GPA (since its recorded seperately uGPA versus gGPA), also because your gGPA is know to be inflated by medical schools.

3.6+ people with lots of research experience, should easily get in to an american school if your MCATs are decent. If however you are unable to, than I suggest you look at your weakness. eg. MCAT, clinical experience. If research is a big component that you are missing than go do a 2 year masters...if not apply early next year and you will most likely get in. Again though, if you dont mind "wasting" 2 years than go ahead pursue a Masters, as I said it can only help (more some if you publish!). Also, when applying to residency, Master's degree at some circles helps you (eg. if you do masters and publish in a cancer study and want to end up pursuing a onco-rad residency)...so "wasting" would be a wrong word to use :). I myself didnt pursue a Master's degree, because I already had publications as an undergrad and my true weakness was the MCATs. Also, I really was not ready to take the stress that goes into getting a masters, when I really didnt want to pursue basic research ever in my life.

Ok if you asking to save yourself from a low GPA (3-3.3), than i suggest you pursue an American Special Master Program. Even though the courses go under your gGPA, American schools love you if you do a SMP. This is because you end up taking courses alongside medical students, and your grades will be a better indication of your sucess. SMP are 2 years, but most are 1 year long (so you can save yourself one year). Warning though, search the link, there are some better SMP than others. One thing about all of them, they are expensive (As much as med schools at some places).

If you looking for a cheaper option to rescue your uGPA just try a post-bacc at your local school (basically an additional year or two of study). I suggest take easy undergrad courses that will boost your GPA.

Thanks sonyvaio2700 for your helpful response! Well, thing is, I'm in my third year of a very rigorous program that I can't really switch out of, well I suppose I could, but it's kind of a waste considering all the hardcore sweat and blood I've put into it =P

Gpa wise, hmm, well my first and second year were relatively competitive (not super, but competitive), but third year is taking an ugly ugly turn. I mean, I am trying everything now to make up for it, but I fear about the outcome at the end of May =S But I don't think, at least I certainly hope not, my gpa will be as low as 3.4 to 3.6 by the end of this year.

There's 2 main reasons I want to do a Master's:

1) financial--you get paid a relatively nice sum to get a degree

2) prestige ~ I may be shallow, but I feel a bit inferior going to Caribbean and it's kind of a stigma w/ family, friends, relatives (but of course, no offense to anyone who chooses that path as I think it's a hard decision to make)

I don't have an undergrad publication, but 1 relativley good reference and about a year or so of research, and planning to do more research next year.

I don't want to do research my entire life either, but I don't see many other options. Right now, the chances of me getting in after 4th year are like 10%, so I have to make up back-up plans.

By the way, last question, what is considered "decent MCAT" in the US? Above 30? I did so bad last year lol, but this year I'm going to try to work really hard do well on July 13 =)

Gpa wise, hmm, well my first and second year were relatively competitive (not super, but competitive), but third year is taking an ugly ugly turn. I mean, I am trying everything now to make up for it, but I fear about the outcome at the end of May =S But I don't think, at least I certainly hope not, my gpa will be as low as 3.4 to 3.6 by the end of this year.

You should like a disgruntled UofT student =) Well I went to UofT too, my third year marks were the worse too. I think I had a 3.3-3.2 in third year. blah...dont worry keep workign hard. And your gpa isnt that bad...

There's 2 main reasons I want to do a Master's:

1) financial--you get paid a relatively nice sum to get a degree

2) prestige ~ I may be shallow, but I feel a bit inferior going to Caribbean and it's kind of a stigma w/ family, friends, relatives (but of course, no offense to anyone who chooses that path as I think it's a hard decision to make)

I don't have an undergrad publication, but 1 relativley good reference and about a year or so of research, and planning to do more research next year.

I don't want to do research my entire life either, but I don't see many other options. Right now, the chances of me getting in after 4th year are like 10%, so I have to make up back-up plans.

I think if you end up around 3.4-3.6 and get a excellent MCAT score (34+) you should be able to get in without doing a Masters. But Masters sounds like a good backup plan. And I agree dont apply to Caribbean school till you atleast tried applying to med schools ATLEAST 2 times (eg. after 4th year, after masters).

By the way, last question, what is considered "decent MCAT" in the US? Above 30? I did so bad last year lol, but this year I'm going to try to work really hard do well on July 13 =)

Remember you are an international student. 30 is almost required. 30-33 considered fairly competitive, 33+ considered outstanding.

If you are struggling with one section, try to at least get a cumulative over 30. So 7,12,13 = 32 isnt that bad as it would be in Canada.

WIth a 3.4-3.6, i would say shoot for 32+ to give yourself the best odds of success :)

You should like a disgruntled UofT student =) Well I went to UofT too, my third year marks were the worse too. I think I had a 3.3-3.2 in third year. blah...dont worry keep workign hard. And your gpa isnt that bad...

I think if you end up around 3.4-3.6 and get a excellent MCAT score (34+) you should be able to get in without doing a Masters. But Masters sounds like a good backup plan. And I agree dont apply to Caribbean school till you atleast tried applying to med schools ATLEAST 2 times (eg. after 4th year, after masters).

Remember you are an international student. 30 is almost required. 30-33 considered fairly competitive, 33+ considered outstanding.

If you are struggling with one section, try to at least get a cumulative over 30. So 7,12,13 = 32 isnt that bad as it would be in Canada.

WIth a 3.4-3.6, i would say shoot for 32+ to give yourself the best odds of success :)

Hehe, yes unfortunately I am from U of T. I just talked to my parents though and they told me they're willing to sell our house, and that made me so sad. I don't think I want them to do that, just because it's so much pressure. But then the interest rates are so scary. Blah, I hope it won't come to that =S Such a long and dreadful process thanks to my incompetence and patheticness in butchering my previously nice gpa this year.

Hehe, yes unfortunately I am from U of T. I just talked to my parents though and they told me they're willing to sell our house, and that made me so sad. I don't think I want them to do that, just because it's so much pressure. But then the interest rates are so scary. Blah, I hope it won't come to that =S Such a long and dreadful process thanks to my incompetence and patheticness in butchering my previously nice gpa this year.

that's really touching/cute/immensely pressuring!! my parents said the same too! and im with you in another respect.... i messed up this year and will most likely get a 3.4 this year due to being on a varsity team and having some personal issues come up that have only now been resolved...... keep in there and at least you have 2 good years for canadian schools like UWO so maybe you and I won't need to break an arm and a leg to pay for down south :-) oh and our usernames are also similar ... i think we need to hang out :P

Over 30 is the MCAT score you want to aim for, obviously higher and balanced is better, but not a must.

Try for at least a 3.4-3.5 GPA. US schools look at your whole application, like volunteering, jobs, sports, etc. If you don't have research don't worry. Obviously having some research experience under your belt will help but if you don't have it don't worry.

I had a 32 on the MCAT and a 3.5-ish GPA. My application was submitted a little later (end of Aug) and I wrote the Aug MCAT too, so it got delayed. I ended up getting in. I'm sure you will too.

The cost is daunting. My parents also said they'd sell the house to put me through med school, and I didn't want them to do that. They ended up taking another mortgage to pay my tutition. It was the cheapest and easiest way to get ~$200,000 US. You'll make it all back eventually so don't worry about it. Just apply and see what happens. If you get accepted you will find a way to make it work.

I know this is an American school forum, but having a Master's degree does help for some Canadian schools. U of T gives 'bonus GPA' points and considers it while reviewing your sketch. Mac gives bonus percentage points. And Ottawa will consider you in a seperate graduate applicant pool if you don't meet the undergrad GPA cutoff - maybe your best bet. Just keeping your options open.

p.s. and yes, I'm a grad student :rolleyes:

Archived