Premed 101 Forums

1 yr of english?

Hey guys,

This forum is great. Its a wonderful resource...just found it recently.

I graduated a couple years back and now I am thinking about applying to the states for the next application cycle. My problem is that I only have half a credit of English composition (1 semester) and it is my understanding that I need a full year to be eligible to apply. A couple of questions

1. If I apply this summer, would I be allowed to take a second english during the summer or even the next academic year (ie from sep-april)?

2. Do US schools accept english classes from athabasca university?

Thanks,

Appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey

I just did research on this as I only have one semester of English. For most US schools, you can complete your requirements until you matriculate at the said med school. Plus, you can get that English substituted for History or Philosophy. For Canadian schools, beware: some ask one full year of English, which cannot be substituted and must be completed by Nov. 15th of the year before you matriculate, which means that all English must be done by the summer session before your last year.

Hey

I just did research on this as I only have one semester of English. For most US schools, you can complete your requirements until you matriculate at the said med school. Plus, you can get that English substituted for History or Philosophy. For Canadian schools, beware: some ask one full year of English, which cannot be substituted and must be completed by Nov. 15th of the year before you matriculate, which means that all English must be done by the summer session before your last year.

Just a warning though. Lots of schools, start med school in late july/early aug. So if you need a whole years worth of English credit, do it during your school year, instead of the summer (just before you go to med school)...it's lots less stressful that way. Even though MOST American schools lets you do this....

Archived