Premed 101 Forums

omsas gpa - AMCAS GPA confusion!

OK so I go to queens, and the way it appears on the transcript is a letter grade and a percent. The letter grade is only A,B,C,D,F, etc

there is no + or - or anything like that.

How do I convert my marks to amcas? do i use the same one omsas uses or do i use the

80 - 100 A = 4

70-79 B = 3

etc

on a side note, i think even a 65 is considered a B for queens, so what conversion would i use I fi have letter and percent?

i go to queen's as well and looked into the conversion scale a few times...i've talked to some people who were applying to the states as well...you want to download the conversion guide from the amcas website and go all the way down where it says "numeric - canadian"...i believe for queen's you look at the third row:

100 - 87 = 4.0

86 - 80 = 3.7

etc...

hope this helps...:D

If my grades were calculated based on the scale given on their website, my cGPA would have been completely different. My AMCAS GPA ended up being exactly the same as my UofT GPA. UofT also has letter and percent grades on transcripts. I only put in my letter grades in the AMCAS application and my AMCAS GPA was EXACTLY the same as the one on my transcript.

Just put the letter grades in...you'll be fine.

If my grades were calculated based on the scale given on their website, my cGPA would have been completely different. My AMCAS GPA ended up being exactly the same as my UofT GPA. UofT also has letter and percent grades on transcripts. I only put in my letter grades in the AMCAS application and my AMCAS GPA was EXACTLY the same as the one on my transcript.

The letter grades queens receives don't have +/-,its just a solid letter ie A, B, C etc

and the transcript looks like

course Course # course weight % Letter Course Description

but if i put my letter grades in..my gpa is 0.13 higher...yes 0.13!!

So would I be allowed to do that?

The letter grades queens receives don't have +/-,its just a solid letter ie A, B, C etc

and the transcript looks like

course Course # course weight % Letter Course Description

but if i put my letter grades in..my gpa is 0.13 higher...yes 0.13!!

So would I be allowed to do that?

i put in number grades and AMCAS converted them all to letter grades. Didnt help me much because for uoft the letter grade and number grade scales are the same.

ya if you are calculating your GPA, go by letter grade. I think AMCAS converters everythign into letter grade.

i don't know so i'm gonna guess right now, but when they convert your grades to letter grades, they will do it based on their scale (so i don't think that for queen's you will get A = 4.0 for 100 - 80 range because they will probably look at your transcript mark and either give you an A if you have 100 - 87 and an A- if you have 86 - 80)

I might be totally off here, and if I am let me know :P

for your UofT transcript, what kind of letter grades did you have (did you have +/- or just the letter?)

i don't know so i'm gonna guess right now, but when they convert your grades to letter grades, they will do it based on their scale (so i don't think that for queen's you will get A = 4.0 for 100 - 80 range because they will probably look at your transcript mark and either give you an A if you have 100 - 87 and an A- if you have 86 - 80)

I might be totally off here, and if I am let me know :P

But then wouldnt that mean that UWO people DON'T get the

80 - 100

70 - 79

etc

because Im positive that they do get the above mentioned scale.

My UofT transcript had letter grades along with +/-.

UofT has both letter grades AND percentages. Looking at the conversion table which can be found here: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2007amcasgradeconversionguide2.pdf

NONE of the numeric scales is close to the numeric scale that UofT uses. If they had decided to go by my percentage grades instead, my AMCAS GPA would have been really different than my UofT one. I only put down my letter grades and my there was no difference between UofT and AMCAS GPA.

I would say JUST INPUT YOUR LETTER GRADES. If AMCAS doesn't like it, they can change it. Are you not going to bother applying because you aren't sure what your GPA would turn out to be? I was unsure as well but it wasn't going to stop me from applying. If you want absolute clarification I would suggest calling AAMC (although I don't know how helpful they would be considering all the MCAT troubles people have been having).

I'm letting you guys know that my GPA stayed the same despite the fact that the percentage grades on my transcript dont match up to any of the numeric scales listed in their conversion table.

i've looked at my gpa using pretty much every conversion scale they have, and my gpa stays more or less the same throughout...

i also talked to some more peopel and they are giving the same good advice as Madz25 :)

that 87%+ = 4.0 business is confusing

its important for me because I actually got a 87% in my General Chem I course. It's an A (3.90) at my school, but is it a 4.0 when converted to AMCAS GPA or does it stay as 3.90?

its important for me because I actually got a 87% in my General Chem I course. It's an A (3.90) at my school, but is it a 4.0 when converted to AMCAS GPA or does it stay as 3.90?

just talk to people in senior year who have applied to AMCAS at your school. thats your best bet.

As for UofT and Western the scales are posted everywhere on the forums. They are different.

sonyvaio2700 gives solid advice...and to be 100% sure you should really contact AMCAS, or just apply and see what they do with your gpa. But based on their conversion scales, canadian gpa's tend to go up a bit (.10) so it might very well be that your 3.9 in gen chem will go up to 4.0 :D

Archived