67-69 = C+ = 2.3

63-66 = C = 2.0

60-62 = C- = 1.7

57-59 = D+ = 1.3

53-56 = D = 1.0

50-52 = D- = 0.7

0-49 = F = 0

Pretty much a carbon copy of OMSAS except for 85+ is all 4.0

^ Does anyone know if Waterloo conversion is still the same?

I just went through all pages and haven't found any updates since 2009.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, 

I have been trying to figure out whether B+ at York is 3.5 or 3.3. I have looked the threads and the AMCAS instruction manual but there isn't much consensus. If a previous applicant from York U can shed light on this I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to make a decision to pursue medicine and I need to calculate my GPA to make sure of my competitiveness. 

Thank you

18 minutes ago, pmn123 said:

Hi, 

I have been trying to figure out whether B+ at York is 3.5 or 3.3. I have looked the threads and the AMCAS instruction manual but there isn't much consensus. If a previous applicant from York U can shed light on this I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm trying to make a decision to pursue medicine and I need to calculate my GPA to make sure of my competitiveness. 

Thank you

Just take your letter grade and find the corresponding AMCAS gpa value. In this case I believe it'd be worth a 3.3.

5 minutes ago, pmn123 said:

@Neurophilic That's what I thought initially but then I came across this and some others mentioning that. 

Well I'm not sure where the AB grade comes from because there is no such grade on the AMCAS gpa chart. Maybe AMCAS does some custom thing. HOnestly, I don't see them doing that because York's percentages lie exactly within the B+ but who knows as I'm not from York. I'm just assuming based on how I believe they do it for Western (I will find out exactly how they do it when I get verified within the next couple of weeks). Do you have a lot of B+'s? will it significantly affect your GPA?What's your worst case scenario gpa (assuming B+ = 3.3)?

@Neurophilic It doesn't affect that much but I have a couple of B+/B in my first three semesters and my other years are all 4. However It will affect my science GPA because I took science courses in my first year for my major (psychology Bsc) but didn't need to take any in my subsequent years. I will have to go back to take some science courses and I know I can do good since my first year was the year that I moved to North America from a non english environment and was not used to this system. 

P.S I did find this and I believe it's from 2015 which is fairly recent and also in their 2018 instruction manual they mention that they count half steps n.3-n.7 and at some cases n.5. There are no minuses at York that makes it different from some other schools I think. 

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/10/ab/10ab9407-7134-4477-9fc9-140d8acb35af/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

6 minutes ago, pmn123 said:

@Neurophilic It doesn't affect that much but I have a couple of B+/B in my first three semesters and my other years are all 4. However It will affect my science GPA because I took science courses in my first year for my major (psychology Bsc) but didn't need to take any in my subsequent years. I will have to go back to take some science courses and I know I can do good since my first year was the year that I moved to North America from a non english environment and was not used to this system. 

P.S I did find this and I believe it's from 2015 which is fairly recent and also in their 2018 instruction manual they mention that they count half steps n.3-n.7 and at some cases n.5. There are no minuses at York that makes it different from some other schools I think. 

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fastly.net/production/media/filer_public/10/ab/10ab9407-7134-4477-9fc9-140d8acb35af/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

Yeah they do show half steps but I'm not sure if those apply to non-American schools. Additionally I believe it is your school's grading scheme which determines the scale. In other words, there needs to be half steps in your school's grading scheme (of which there are not). I probably wouldn't get my hopes up on that 3.5. I wouldn't really worry with a 3.66 anyways. I'd still apply if I were you. It won't be easy but you can definitely have a shot at low tier schools.  

Just now, pmn123 said:

Yes that's true and I am considering B+ as 3.3 but it would be great if someone from York who is getting/ has been verified shed light on this.

Yeah it would. I'm in the same predicament but you will find out sooner or later when you're verified.I would just go with the worst case scenario for now and then if you get verified and it's higher then that's great. Considering it doesn't change your gpa much I don't see it changing your school selection either.  

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...