Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS SCALES for Canadian Schools

That's not correct. UofT is

70-73 = B- = 2.7

74 -76= B = 3.0

77-79 = B+ = 3.3

I had a 76 on my transcript and if it's the way you have listed then my AMCAS GPA would have been different than UofT's.

Edited to add: I don't know about the other UofT (C, D etc) grades but I don't think those are right either...

How did they calculate you A-s 3.7s or 4.0s?

I can attest to the UWO AMCAS scale. I was shocked (and very pleased) to see my calculated cGPA. But just to re-iterate what has already been said, the scale only benefits you if you have 80+. It just brutalized my 79's....:eek:

I had the exact same thing (I've had three 78-79s in my undergrad that destroyed my GPA).... and I got 68 in a half semester of calc... :-S

Yea - I just wanted to add in there that some of my interviewers did make comments like "You certainly did well, and from a good school too" (Toronto), so they are aware, at the very least, of "reputations" but I'm not sure if they have a bias for these reputations. I know there's one Queens student who got into Vanderbilt (this cycle actually)...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is there one for 2008? There doesn't seem to be the 80+ 4.0 as previously mentioned on there either.

UofT's AMCAS conversion isn't there either, none of the scales match up. The scales mentioned in this sticky are from people that have went through the application process rather than what AMCAS has posted on their website.

• 2 weeks later...
ok, in american language, what is this credit hour thing?

3 = half year?

6 = full year?

whats 8 then?

8 is prolly with a lab component in there I guess.... Like 1st year bio, both semesters is 4 credits (4 first sem + 4 second sem= 8).

this is my guess. maybe i'm wrong.

ok, in american language, what is this credit hour thing?

3 = half year?

6 = full year?

whats 8 then?

What I noticed was that some schools go by 3/6 for half/full year and others go by 4/8, and others do the 3/6 for regular courses and 4/8 for lab courses.

In the secondary applications most schools require you to submit the names/grades/credit hours of courses you've taken that correspond to each requirement. If it was a 3/6 school and required 6hrs of gen chem, I'd put it down as 6 and if it was a 4/8 school and required 8 hrs, I'd put down 8 cuz at my school it was either 0.5 credits or 1 credit for half/full.

For the purpose of AMCAS application, just type it in the way it is on your transcript, AMCAS will take care of the rest. AMCAS converted all of my 0.5s to 3s and 1.0s to 6's. So even though I had only 6hrs of gen chem on my AMCAS application, I still put down 8hrs for schools that required 8. It didn't affect my application, I was accepted at a school that required 8hrs even though my AMCAS only had 6.

Hope this helps.

What I noticed was that some schools go by 3/6 for half/full year and others go by 4/8, and others do the 3/6 for regular courses and 4/8 for lab courses.

In the secondary applications most schools require you to submit the names/grades/credit hours of courses you've taken that correspond to each requirement. If it was a 3/6 school and required 6hrs of gen chem, I'd put it down as 6 and if it was a 4/8 school and required 8 hrs, I'd put down 8 cuz at my school it was either 0.5 credits or 1 credit for half/full.

For the purpose of AMCAS application, just type it in the way it is on your transcript, AMCAS will take care of the rest. AMCAS converted all of my 0.5s to 3s and 1.0s to 6's. So even though I had only 6hrs of gen chem on my AMCAS application, I still put down 8hrs for schools that required 8. It didn't affect my application, I was accepted at a school that required 8hrs even though my AMCAS only had 6.

Hope this helps.

I need to know this information in order to determine, for myself, if I am eligible for some school.

okay so I'm at U of T. Does that mean if a school (say Hopkins) requires 24 hours of Humanities, and I took so far 2.5 FCE at U of T, I'm missing another 1.5 FCE? (ugh.....) I still wonder if my IB credits in English and History could add some more semester hours :S

edit: okay ;-) I just called them.. and YAY they will accept my IB credits in English and History as fulfilling part of the semester hours wooohooo!!!

okay so I'm at U of T. Does that mean if a school (say Hopkins) requires 24 hours of Humanities, and I took so far 2.5 FCE at U of T, I'm missing another 1.5 FCE? (ugh.....) I still wonder if my IB credits in English and History could add some more semester hours :S

edit: okay ;-) I just called them.. and YAY they will accept my IB credits in English and History as fulfilling part of the semester hours wooohooo!!!

yup, 24hrs = 4FCE ......err unless they go by the 4/8 system in which case 24hrs = 3FCE lol

That UWO scale is incredibly beautiful and that is an understatement.

Who runs ****? Yes, that is right, Western runs ****. ;)

Now if I only had a decent MCAT score at hand I could finish my AMCAS aps... Darn MCAT forcing me to apply to the states late.... And damn does that course hour thing look confusing. If I can figure that out they should tag a few bonus points onto that GPA....

McMaster University:

A and A+ = 4.0

A- = 3.7

B+ = 3.3

B = 3

B- = 2.7

C+ = 2.3

C = 2

D = 1.0

F = 0

So for Mac students, would they convert each of their letter grades to the appropriate scale out of 4.0 and then calculate their GPA for U.S. schools? My McMaster average for one year is a 10.6/12, which on the OMSAS scale is a 3.80, but in the U.S. this would be a 3.87?

OMSAS treats an A at Mac as a 3.90 but the U.S. treats it as a 4.0. I just want to verify this. If so, this is great news.