Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS SCALES for Canadian Schools

Since no one seems to know the Guelph converted GPA, can anyone tell me at which stage in the application process are our converted GPAs released? I have no clue what my converted GPA would be, and I would love to know soon after submitting my grades to AMCAS so I have a better idea of which schools are within my reach....:confused:

Since no one seems to know the Guelph converted GPA, can anyone tell me at which stage in the application process are our converted GPAs released? I have no clue what my converted GPA would be, and I would love to know soon after submitting my grades to AMCAS so I have a better idea of which schools are within my reach....:confused:

do you have letter grades or % reported on your transcript?

Regardless, you will now once amcas verifies your primary application. That can be within a day or two if you submit in june.

Thanks Alastriss. We have % grades at Guelph.

you might get them converted to a scale listed on amcas, where 87=100 is a 4.0, 80-86 is a 3.7 and so on and so forth. It seems that is the default scale they use with percentages. That is probably your worst case/most likely scenario, so i would use that to see where your gpa stands.

i was under the impression it was 4.0=85+ 3.7=80-84

this is just a hunch i have, not founded on any real info

well, for some schools yes. But their default % scale is the one I mentioned above, I am pretty sure about that. You will find it on the amcas website, and it is called "Canadian - numeric scheme"

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed AMCAS asking them if it is accurate that an A and A+ (from York U) are treated both as 4.0. This is the generic response I received:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for contacting AMCAS.

AMCAS calculates the GPA for you based, in part, on information received from your school's registrar's office. We understand that Canadian credit hours are different and we will convert those for you in the application. Please do not make conversions yourself when listing the coursework. List the courses as they appear on the official transcript.

You may use the conversion guide found on our website, aamc.org, but this is just an estimate. Your actual AMCAS GPA will be calculated when your application is processed.

Does anyone have any SOLID/reliable info about conversions?????

• 1 month later...

Could someone give me an example of how to calculate an AMCAS GPA?

I was looking at the conversion guide, but I'm not sure how to figure out semester hours. For example, what would be one term lecture course with a 3.7?

I've become too used to the OMSAS 1.0 or 0.5 credit lengths. :)

Could someone give me an example of how to calculate an AMCAS GPA?

I was looking at the conversion guide, but I'm not sure how to figure out semester hours. For example, what would be one term lecture course with a 3.7?

I've become too used to the OMSAS 1.0 or 0.5 credit lengths. :)

At my school a one term lecture course was 3 credits. A bio course with lab-4 credits. A physics course with lab-5 credits. So I guess the labs change things a bit, but lecture courses were all 3.

• 3 weeks later...
University of Toronto:

85% and up = A/A+ = 4.0

80-84 = A- = 3.7

77-79 = B+ = 3.3

73-76 = B = 3.0

70-72 = B- = 2.7

67-69 = C+ = 2.3

63-66 = C = 2.0

60-62 = C- = 1.7

57-59 = D+ = 1.3

53-56 = D = 1.0

50-52 = D- =0.7

0-49 = F = 0

Has this table been verified by anyone from U of T recently?

If one looks at the "AAMC Grade Conversion Guide" there is no such system that matches the above.

Anyone can elaborate on this please?

• 2 weeks later...
Has this table been verified by anyone from U of T recently?

If one looks at the "AAMC Grade Conversion Guide" there is no such system that matches the above.

Anyone can elaborate on this please?

This reply is sort of late :(, but yes, AMCAS uses the following system for U of T verification:

University of Toronto:

85% and up = A/A+ = 4.0

80-84 = A- = 3.7

77-79 = B+ = 3.3

73-76 = B = 3.0

70-72 = B- = 2.7

67-69 = C+ = 2.3

63-66 = C = 2.0

60-62 = C- = 1.7

57-59 = D+ = 1.3

53-56 = D = 1.0

50-52 = D- =0.7

0-49 = F = 0

My AMCAS was verified on June 9.

Looks like AMCAS looks down on anything other than A. If you are A+ you are not rewarded but if you are A- or lower you are heavily penalized. So for those who have straight 'A' s. for majority of their courses, the cGPA will go up otherwise it will come down (compared to your university grades - especially if your university calculates cGPA like UofT). For someone like me, where the majority is A-, followed by A and B+, the cGPA drops.

Wonder if AMCAS provides any relief for people who have done more than 20 credits in their undergraduate years.

PS: I had posted a similar message in the "What are my chances" thread as well.

Looks like AMCAS looks down on anything other than A. If you are A+ you are not rewarded but if you are A- or lower you are heavily penalized. So for those who have straight 'A' s. for majority of their courses, the cGPA will go up otherwise it will come down (compared to your university grades - especially if your university calculates cGPA like UofT). For someone like me, where the majority is A-, followed by A and B+, the cGPA drops.

Wonder if AMCAS provides any relief for people who have done more than 20 credits in their undergraduate years.

PS: I had posted a similar message in the "What are my chances" thread as well.

On the bright side, at least AMCAS is slightly more forgiving than OMSAS :) . On OMSAS, the A+ is 4.0 while the A is dropped to a 3.9... at least with AMCAS, the A and A+ are both 4.0.

• 2 weeks later...