Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS SCALES for Canadian Schools

Can someone please tell me what the AMCAS conversion is for University of Ottawa? Or which page of this thread I might find it on?

I don't really understand how the AMCAS weight or semester hours work... So far all the courses I have taken were 3 credits (full semester courses), some of which had both lecture and lab components.

seems crazy that western is the only school that doesn't have a b+???

therefore 70-79 is a b which is only 3.0 in amcas!

think my calculations are all wrong because I calculated 3.5 in 1st year, 3.81 and 3.91 second and third, and 3.8 in 4th.. and only came out with a 3.7 gpa?? obviously I am not going into medicine for my mathematical skills:confused:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
just wondering...can someone confirm whether or not that scale^ matches with the one on the first page for YorkU.

would A at york still be 4.0?

Actually, it may have been changed. Only a 9 (A+ at York) is considered a 4.0. An A is considered a 3.7. But what confuses me is that a 6 is considered a B- when should be a B.

I'm not entirely sure, if someone could help out it would be appreciated. Seems pretty harsh to give a 3.7 for an A. If I'm not mistaken OMSAS considers an A for York to be a 3.8.

Actually, it may have been changed. Only a 9 (A+ at York) is considered a 4.0. An A is considered a 3.7. But what confuses me is that a 6 is considered a B- when should be a B.

I'm not entirely sure, if someone could help out it would be appreciated. Seems pretty harsh to give a 3.7 for an A. If I'm not mistaken OMSAS considers an A for York to be a 3.8.

it isn't really worth looking into,

I believe you will find out about it when you apply to it

• 2 months later...

Can anyone who recently applied confirm the scale for UWO? As far as I know UWO does not show letter grades on transcript, but Western does provide a conversion guide of:

90+ = A+

80-89 = A

70-79 = B

60-69 = C

... and so on. HOWEVER, even though this scale is available, letter grades are not shown on transcripts, only numerical values.

UWO does not have a + - system, so it doesn't seem to match any of the Canadian numerical grades from: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

Is the conversion chart posted on the first page of this thread correct for UWO? When it comes time to apply do I first convert my %'s into letter grades based on UWO's scale, thus giving me 80+= A= 4.0, 70-79= B=3.0? Any help would be appreciated.

Can anyone who recently applied confirm the scale for UWO? As far as I know UWO does not show letter grades on transcript, but Western does provide a conversion guide of:

90+ = A+

80-89 = A

70-79 = B

60-69 = C

... and so on. HOWEVER, even though this scale is available, letter grades are not shown on transcripts, only numerical values.

UWO does not have a + - system, so it doesn't seem to match any of the Canadian numerical grades from: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

Is the conversion chart posted on the first page of this thread correct for UWO? When it comes time to apply do I first convert my %'s into letter grades based on UWO's scale, thus giving me 80+= A= 4.0, 70-79= B=3.0? Any help would be appreciated.

when you apply, enter your grades exactly as they appear on your transcript. so if you got a 84 in a course, you would enter that into AMCAS. AMCAS will then use the transcripts you send in to verify that this information is correct, and THEN they will convert the grade themselves to the equivalent GPA using their own formula.

Oh man, contradicting info... :/ the problem is I'm quite hesitant to enter percentage grades, as I heard too many horror stories about random conversions by AMCAS (84=3.0?!?). Going through the whole appeal process would take loads of time; it would be much easier and much more beneficial to enter letter grades I'd assume. To clarify, there IS a letter grade conversion chart on the back of my transcript, even though the marks are given in %. Still unsure of what to do, but thanks for the info guys

Oh man, contradicting info... :/ the problem is I'm quite hesitant to enter percentage grades, as I heard too many horror stories about random conversions by AMCAS (84=3.0?!?). Going through the whole appeal process would take loads of time; it would be much easier and much more beneficial to enter letter grades I'd assume. To clarify, there IS a letter grade conversion chart on the back of my transcript, even though the marks are given in %. Still unsure of what to do, but thanks for the info guys

hey OMGITWONTFI, i sent you a PM explaining more in detail what i did just in case it helps... and contradicts some conversion horror stories.:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am applying this upcoming cycle (2014 cycle) and this is my understanding of how UofO grades convert to AMCAS.

Our transcripts don't have exact percentages for each course, instead we have letter grades which correspond to a numeric value:

A+ = 10

A = 9

A- = 8

B+ = 7

B = 6

C+ = 5

C = 4

D+ = 3

D = 2

E = 1

F = 0

The best model I found on the AMCAS grade conversion pdf was Canadian-numeric, 2nd row (https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf)

Here is my conundrum: If I got a letter grade B, that is 3.0 on the AMCAS scale. However, B on the UofO numeric scale is a 6. 6 on the AMCAS scale is 2.7

Therefore, what does my B grade count as on the AMCAS scale, 2.7 or 3?

To those of you who have applied from UofO, how do you enter grades on AMCAS? Letter grades or the UofO numeric value for your course?

I am applying this upcoming cycle (2014 cycle) and this is my understanding of how UofO grades convert to AMCAS.

Our transcripts don't have exact percentages for each course, instead we have letter grades which correspond to a numeric value:

A+ = 10

A = 9

A- = 8

B+ = 7

B = 6

C+ = 5

C = 4

D+ = 3

D = 2

E = 1

F = 0

The best model I found on the AMCAS grade conversion pdf was Canadian-numeric, 2nd row (https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf)

Here is my conundrum: If I got a letter grade B, that is 3.0 on the AMCAS scale. However, B on the UofO numeric scale is a 6. 6 on the AMCAS scale is 2.7

Therefore, what does my B grade count as on the AMCAS scale, 2.7 or 3?

To those of you who have applied from UofO, how do you enter grades on AMCAS? Letter grades or the UofO numeric value for your course?

You enter letter grades into the application, so a B is just a 3. Basically it's

A+ = 4.0

A = 4.0

A- = 3.7

B+ = 3.3

B = 3

C+ = 2.3

C = 2.0

D+ = 1.3

D = 1.0

E = 0

F = 0

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
You enter letter grades into the application, so a B is just a 3. Basically it's

A+ = 4.0

A = 4.0

A- = 3.7

B+ = 3.3

B = 3

C+ = 2.3

C = 2.0

D+ = 1.3

D = 1.0

E = 0

F = 0

That's awesome :) btw do you mind sharing your gpa and mcat score here. since you got into both mcmaster and wayne state

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, i was trying to figure out for york U, and I found this in their website:

The letter-grade system is the fundamental system of assessment of performance in undergraduate programs at York University. In courses where percentages are used as a means of reporting grades on individual pieces of work, the following conversion table is to be used in converting percentage grades to letter grades, unless alternative provisions for scaling and/or conversion are announced to students in writing within the first two weeks of classes.

so in my transcript I have all letter grades and not a number grade out of 9. using the amcas conversion, an A on my official transcript will equal to a 4.0. Am I wrong? That seems logical to me, I hope that is the case, because if we use the 9 point scale to convert....it will crush me