Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlist Thread

TIME STAMP: 9:00 am

Result: Admitted with Condition (MDCM)
cGPA: 3.96, pre-reqGPA: 3.53 (but I'm not sure, I also requested to use some other courses but I don't know if it worked out)
MCAT: 521

I felt pretty bad about my interview and was fully convinced this past month that I would get a rejection, and TBH I'm still reeling from the shock a little. I felt (and still feel) like I really bombed 3 stations. I hope that this drives home the point that you don't need to feel great about your interview to get in.

Super excited about this!

TIME STAMP: around 9am

Result: Admitted! (MDCM)
cGPA: 3.70, pre-reqGPA: ~3.60
MCAT: 519
ECs: Pretty strong, lots of diversity
Year: Graduated BSc in 2017

IP/OOP/International: IP

Thought my interview was alright overall but not good enough for an acceptance! I think I did badly on 2 stations but I guess the other 8 must have been good! Very happy to be admitted considering my low GPA!!

TIME STAMP: 10:45am

Result: Waitlisted 
cGPA: 4.0, pre-reqGPA: 3.15
MCAT: not submitted
ECs:  Fairly Diverse and strong, I published numerous papers and presented abstracts at national and international conferences. 
Year: Graduating with second degree this year.

The interview was not very good for me, however considering my VERY LOW prereq GPA, I think it may have been not too bad since I was not rejected rather waitlisted. I don't know my rank on waitlist so I will go ahead with my plans as if I was refused (better to be safe than sorry). 

Posting here as it might help applicants/future applicants

TIME STAMP: 11:45am

Result: Refused-Ltd Space Available
cGPA: 3.85, pre-reqGPA: 2.85 (really low...)
ECs:  okay - pm for details
Year: BSc. (17') McGill and currently Master Student at an Ivy 

My interview was not the best (I think that I bombed 4-5 stations...) in addition to the low pre-reqGPA, the outcome was kinda expected. I was even surprised to be invited to the interview...Nonetheless, I am really grateful for the opportunity that I had to attend the mmi. For those who did not get accepted, do not give up! I am planning to take the recommended couses during summer to boost my pre-req GPA (which hopefully will help). 

Congratulations to all those entering med this year and wish you all the best! 

Result: Refused-Ltd Space Available

Geography: OOP
PreqGPA: 4.00
ECs: Coaching, research, various volunteering, athletics
Year: Completed BSc 2017

I personally thought I bombed my interview :( I barely got off the OOP waitlist for interview so I was really grateful for the opportunity to even come!

Congratulations to everyone that got in and good luck for those waiting either till May or on the waitlist! To those who have to wait till next cycle, I know the struggle but if you really want it, don't give up! Having just gotten any interview is a privilege and you should be extremely proud of yourself! Trust in the process :P

TIME STAMP: 9:50 am

Result: Admitted with Condition (MDCM)
cGPA: 3.84, pre-reqGPA: 3.93
MCAT: Not submitted
ECs: Rather good and diverse. MP for details.
Year: 3rd year PhD

Being a reapplicant was extremely helpful and I am convinced that it made the difference when I was preparing for the MMI. For those who did not get in, I strongly encourage you to persevere and use your experience next year.

I've been reading these forums for years and can't believe i'm actually posting one of these!!! 

TIME STAMP: 9:00 am

Result: Admitted with Condition (In Province) 
cGPA: 3.88, pre-reqGPA: 3.82
ECs: University clubs, international research some tutoring volunteering 
Year: last year MSc. 

Interview: I thought it went alright, the MMI is definitely not a 'normal' interview process so I wasn't entirely sure how I did and I questioned a lot of my responses over the last month but I guess it went okay. 

• TIME STAMP: 9:00AM
  • Result: Admitted with Condition (MDCM)
  • cGPA: 3.80, pre-reqGPA: 3.4
  • MCAT: Not submitted
  • ECs: Lots.
  • Year: B.Sc. + B. Sc.  + M. Sc. 
  • Interview preparation : Did 0 preparation. Not a single book. Nothing. 
  • Post-interview feeling right after : I had no regrets and I was proud. That was enough for me.
  • Post-interview feeling weeks after : You start to question everything. That's normal. Let it go.
  • Attempt : Fourth attempt
  • IP/OOP/International: IP

I never thought I would ever post on here.
I was already enrolled for next semester to re-take my pre-requesites and I had paid the tuition for it.
I had accepted that I would be refused.
It is very hard to summarize a 10 years long journey in a few sentences.
I could write a book about my journey, my feelings and my doubts.

If I had to give advice to a future applicant, here is what I would say :

• Before getting accepted, try to accept the idea that it might never happen. Define yourself beyond your medical path. Don't do things because they would look good on a C.V. Live your life. Take every extra year as an opportunity to grow your life. Don't see it as an extra year of suffering and waiting. 
  • When you get accepted, everything makes sense. Every doubt you had suddenly turns into sparks of hope. It is very hard to describe.
  • After you get accepted, life feels lighter but you realize that it's another journey that starts.
  • I wish I could explain myself but I had the worst odds against me and I made it.
  • Not because I am unique. Because I was lucky. I truly believe I am.
  • Therefore, if it is your dream, follow your heart and never give up. Never give up. Never ever give up.

TIME STAMP: Minerva updated around 9:00 am

Result: Admitted! (MDCM)
cGPA: 4.0, pre-reqGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 522
ECs: Strength in diversity
Year: MSc

I felt my interview was comparable to my performance last year and so I wasn't sure whether it would get me admitted since it wasn't good enough then. This year I felt great about 2 stations but still unsure about the rest. Weeks post-interview I'd have involuntary flashbacks of some stations, sudden realizations that I "missed the point of the station". This morning I checked Minerva prepared for the worst and thinking how nevertheless I am grateful to have had the opportunity. Instead I found myself tearing up for the opposite reason. So so happy and I can't wait to meet the rest of you!

Result: Refused (Ltd Space) - Checked Minerva 
cGPA: 4.00, pre-reqGPA: 4.0
ECs: Various! 
Year: completed masters ; working research scientist 

IP/OOP/International: OOP

Letters of reference: Yes

Hard pill to swallow after so many kicks at the can. Hoping the post helps others in the future. Haven't yet received my official e-mail as of 9:30PM EST. Keep your head up everyone and keep on trying. 

TIME STAMP: March 26, 8:55 am

Result: Accepted with condition
cGPA: 3.99, pre-reqGPA: 3.97
MCAT: 521 not submitted (130/129/132/130)
ECs: Shadowing, 3 summers research, teaching, mentoring, performing music, community leadership position, summer camps, VP of cultural organization, various scholarships
Year: 4th year UG

I still feel in hindsight that my interview was pretty lousy, I didn't resolve many scenarios and made blatant errors. Apparently it worked out

Interview prep: None at all. Just read a couple examples of MMI online.

Time Stamp: March 26, ~9:00am

Result: Accepted

cGPA: 3.92, Pre-req GPA: 3.94

MCAT: 520 131/128/131/130

ECs: Lots of varied employment, 5 years intramural sports, 1 year of research, few clubs, exchange semester, almost no volunteering, heavy drinking

Year: Graduated 2017

Region: IP

Interview prep: no books. Mostly introspection

Felt pretty good about the interview but still didn't expect to get accepted. I can imagine the stress others are facing with rejection, as I had prepared myself for it. Stay positive and assess your situation realistically. Keep chuggin.

Posting for the first time hopefully to give others hope, particularly OOP's with underwhelming stats. I know that this may not be a perfectly representative sample of all applicants, but I've checked this website for a long time and have often been overwhelmed by the stats of others. 

TIME STAMP: Mon Mar 26th @ 10:09pm (Checked Minerva for the first time around 12:30 and it was up)

Region: OOP

Year: Graduated Masters in 2016, Undergrad in 2014

cGPA: 3.87, pre-reqGPA: 3.86 

MCAT: 510 (125/127/127/131) - Again pretty underwhelming but I contacted the admissions office directly and they from what they said submitting your MCAT can only help you. For post interview (80% MMI, 20% prereq) if you submit your MCAT they calculate your prereq score using 1) just your courses and 2) using courses and MCAT at 50:50 (their words). They then take the higher of the two. Unless your MCAT is atrocious I can't see why submitting it would hurt. 

ECs: I've always tried to do things I loved and not for the sake of boosting my resume. Not criticizing anyone of doing the latter but had been advised to take this approach by many people in the medical field early on in my university career and I think it boded well for my personal development and growth. I have one first author pub submitted, 3 conference presentations, captain of a varsity rugby team, a few big scholarships and grants, 4 pretty diverse medical placements that involved patient contact (more for my own understanding of if this is what I wanted to pursue), a couple service trips abroad, and a few other odds and ends. 

Interview Prep: I probably over prepared but knew that was what I needed to do to feel my best. I do think running through MMI situations and practicing them out loud can be incredibly helpful, especially doing it with a variety of people to get a variety of feedback. Also knowing yourself, the experiences you've had and what you've learned I think can be really valuable. 

I had an awesome girl in Med-1 give me some guidance and advice for how to prepare, in addition to showing me around the school the day before my interview. I'm not in the program yet so it's hard for me to know, but based on what she said and my impression - McGill really cares about who you are as a person and how you interact with other people, especially at the interview stage. The best advice she gave me was to relax and be yourself and if you can walk out of the interview feeling like you did that then you have nothing to regret. Everyone is going to feel like there are little things they would've done differently - that's normal in challenging and time constrained situations. 

It's been 8 years since I started undergrad. I went straight from undergrad to a masters and applied to 3 schools without the MCAT for 2016 (including McGill) and was granted 0 interviews. Took a year off and worked and wrote the MCAT and reapplied to all the schools I met the cut-off criteria for across the country this time (10 schools). I got 9 outright rejections and one interview waitlist (at McGill). Was pulled off the waitlist 2 weeks before interviews (which I would think means I was pretty close to the bottom of the barrel) and was lucky enough to be in the 10 selected on Monday. This doesn't mean I'm imploring you to never give up. If I was rejected that would've been it for me, my physiotherapy pre-requisites are all expiring after this year and I wanted to start moving forward with the schooling process and my life in general. I get both sides of that discussion. Perhaps this message can be hopeful for one person though, and if that's the case I'll happy I did it. 

So so excited for the opportunity. See y'all in August. 

cGPA: 3.99, pre-reqGPA: 3.77
ECs: Lots of diversity, no clinical experience but volunteering in a hospital
Year: last year of UG in Finance

It was a surprise to be invited to the interviews at first because of my path (finance, no clinical experience), but apparently McGill likes diversity in a CV.
So excited to start in August :) 

On 26/03/2018 at 5:56 PM, HoopDreams said:
  • TIME STAMP: 9:00AM
  • Result: Admitted with Condition (MDCM)
  • cGPA: 3.80, pre-reqGPA: 3.4
  • MCAT: Not submitted
  • ECs: Lots.
  • Year: B.Sc. + B. Sc.  + M. Sc. 
  • Interview preparation : Did 0 preparation. Not a single book. Nothing. 
  • Post-interview feeling right after : I had no regrets and I was proud. That was enough for me.
  • Post-interview feeling weeks after : You start to question everything. That's normal. Let it go.
  • Attempt : Fourth attempt
  • IP/OOP/International: IP

I never thought I would ever post on here.
I was already enrolled for next semester to re-take my pre-requesites and I had paid the tuition for it.
I had accepted that I would be refused.
It is very hard to summarize a 10 years long journey in a few sentences.
I could write a book about my journey, my feelings and my doubts.

If I had to give advice to a future applicant, here is what I would say :

• Before getting accepted, try to accept the idea that it might never happen. Define yourself beyond your medical path. Don't do things because they would look good on a C.V. Live your life. Take every extra year as an opportunity to grow your life. Don't see it as an extra year of suffering and waiting. 
  • When you get accepted, everything makes sense. Every doubt you had suddenly turns into sparks of hope. It is very hard to describe.
  • After you get accepted, life feels lighter but you realize that it's another journey that starts.
  • I wish I could explain myself but I had the worst odds against me and I made it.
  • Not because I am unique. Because I was lucky. I truly believe I am.
  • Therefore, if it is your dream, follow your heart and never give up. Never give up. Never ever give up.

You gave me shivers. I really relate to you for various reasons. So I'm telling you, Sincerely, and from the bottom of my Heart, Congratulations, you deserve it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...