Premed 101 Forums

Choosing optional courses in undergrad?

MedPen

Well, I've been trying to come up with a good schedule for next year even though it is a little early but what can I say, I'm excited!

Anyhoo, it turns out that I have a lot of optional courses to choose so I don't know how to go about that.

Can I pick classes from any faculty? Not just science?

Should I take science classes in order to have the prereqs for higher level courses that I probably will want to take in later years?

Any advice/suggestions is greatly appreciated!:)

Haha, you must be in grade 12.

Don't overdo your courses in first-year. Just take a full courseload (usually 5 courses) and that's it. I know you probably are excited to take a bunch of interesting courses, but there's enough of an adjustment in first-year to take 7 courses :P

Have a general idea for which programs you're interested in. You might not know exactly yet, but look at the few which you think you might be. Know what direction you're going into. eg. life sciences? math/physics? Look up the requirements for these programs and see which first-year courses are required and which courses are required as pre-reqs for future courses.

Also, you probably need credits in other faculties (eg. as a science student you often need to have arts credits). Take some that interest you (eg. psych, political science, English, history, sociology, etc). While you're at it, you might as well make sure that they satisfy the humanities/social sciences requirements of med schools.

Yes, you can pick courses from any faculty provided they aren't specifically restricted to students in particular programs (that's rare especially for first-year courses, but you should check the course calendar for your school).

Good luck!

Haha, you must be in grade 12.

Don't overdo your courses in first-year. Just take a full courseload (usually 5 courses) and that's it. I know you probably are excited to take a bunch of interesting courses, but there's enough of an adjustment in first-year to take 7 courses :P

Have a general idea for which programs you're interested in. You might not know exactly yet, but look at the few which you think you might be. Know what direction you're going into. eg. life sciences? math/physics? Look up the requirements for these programs and see which first-year courses are required and which courses are required as pre-reqs for future courses.

Also, you probably need credits in other faculties (eg. as a science student you often need to have arts credits). Take some that interest you (eg. psych, political science, English, history, sociology, etc). While you're at it, you might as well make sure that they satisfy the humanities/social sciences requirements of med schools.

Yes, you can pick courses from any faculty provided they aren't specifically restricted to students in particular programs (that's rare especially for first-year courses, but you should check the course calendar for your school).

Good luck!

Actually I'm finishing cegep in 3 weeks and got rejected from pre-med so I have to do an undergrad. I'm doing micobiology and immunology at McGill but the faculty program I have chosen only requires 67 fixed credits and I need to do 90. Coming from cegep, I already satisfy the requirements for humanities and so forth so I'm basically free to take whatever interests me.

Oh, I see. Cool. I don't know much about cegep cuz I'm from BC. I guess then it's totally up to what interests you. You could take unrelated electives in other faculties (HKin, arts, music, etc). Or you could take electives related to your degree then. Whatever you're interested in.

is micobiology and immunology at McGill hard? my friend goes to mcgill, and she's doing biochem, and says how its the hardest major there ever, blah blah blah

I also heard that biochem was the hardest major.

In my opinion, microbiology doesn't seem that hard but I guess it has a reputation of being tough because the department only takes 120 students per year.:eek:

What is hard depends a lot on the person. Also everyone likes thinking they come from the most prestigious and "hardcore" major at their school.

There are lots of options. I love physiology but also love history. If I did science all day long I would go insane. So every year I get some non-science courses in my time table. Just make sure they are something you would enjoy because these extra courses are were you get to explore stuff you wouldn't normally explore.

In first year I took a survey course on ancient history, in second year I took WWI and WWII history, in third year I am taking the History of Medicine.

Just get out there are enjoy, and good luck!

Archived